• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tribute to RMNZ/The Few

sg1011

This is a little tribute to Real McCoy's New Zealand/The Few. I regret to inform that RMNZ has officially shut down their mail order business as of March and will actually shut down completely once they fulfill they're Japanese orders and/or run out of material. Unfortunately, they weren't able to survive and compete with other producers in Japan as the high costs in freight really diminished their margin for profit. In addition, a lot of their materials as of lately have been imported which also drove prices up and/or margins down. I thought that it would be nice to start a thread and everyone can share their experiences with them. For me personally, I've never experienced better customer service in any industry as I did with Paddy at RMNZ.

Last year, I saw pictures of the soon to be released Buzz Rickson B-2 in the dark brown/dark mouton combo and was really impressed. I really like the original brown/tobacco color as well, but the darker color appeals to me more. I contacted Paddy early this year and that's when she filled me in on what was going on. I was only inquiring as to their ability to produce a B-2 in a similar color. I was hoping to buy at the end of this year, but with the deadline for mail orders closing in, I placed my order and became the last person to have a jacket made through their mail order.

They did an excellent job on this jacket. The cutter was able to add a little bit of room around the chest/shoulder areas, while keeping the midsection tight. They matched the Buzz Rickson jacket perfectly, in my eyes. The color of the leather is dark garam and the mouton is a rich dark brown. They really went out of their way to source a dark brown mouton as they only stock a gold/green for their stock B-2's. Everything else is standard: zips, lining, stitching. Enjoy!

John Lever

That is a huge blow and it will leave a gaping hole in the market in terms of choice for the customer. Though they were never the cheapest by any means they did make a superb product and to me they were the benchmark. As far as quality comparison like for like goes it really only leaves RMJ with their ridiculous prices. No one else makes m444 and m445 jackets.
RM always used fantastic sheepskins (Fenland Merino and latterly SouthAfrican Merino) that were comfortable to wear because they were simply the best skins available in the unadulterated form retaining natural elasticity with no aged appearance that really does compromise on comfort.
Aero may be able to fill the gap with their new superb skins. But Eastman are very firmly on the broken grain road.
Glad I bought my m445 Anj4 B3 and B2.

Falcon_52

That is shocking news. Their materials and construction are really first rate. They make great products; I cannot believe that they are closing their doors.

That will leave only two production B-2 jacket makers (Buzz Rickson & Lost Worlds).

Silver Surfer

between a coupla earth quakes, and a high currency conversion, rmnz had its hands full for the last few years. back in the day, rmnz was a world class competitor in every way. paddy was [is] always helpful, and kept the operation humming along through thick and thin. i for one will be sorry to see them gone.

sg1011

I also hope that they come back some day. Paddy seemed optimistic about a chance in the future. She also did mention that the earthquake caused significant damage that needed repair...another large expense. I'm also curious how this will affect after market prices.

foster

Sad news indeed. I never dealt with them directly, but I do own one of their B-3 jackets. It is a fantastic jacket. I will definitely be hanging onto it now.

John Lever

Nearly all the repro makers are small often family businesses. If conditions align negatively it can all go wrong quite quickly.
Got stung for £150 k 25 years ago...game over.

sg1011

Yeah it sounds like RMNZ is a tight knit small business. Your absolutely right John. All it takes is one negative at the wrong time and it's a done deal. Sad thing is that many times it's not the fault of the small business owner.

John Lever

Spoke to Bevan who know's Massa the owner so should get more info soon,but they may go off shore to offset currency issues.

FlyingYankee

Wow, that is sad news as I love their products although I have always had to purchase 2nd hand. Always thought their sheepskin is first rate

a2jacketpatches

Just watched "Death by China" on a whim and have to wonder if they are the problem. What a pity to see a reasonably small company being force to avoid all the fees and complications and take such action. I'm happy to be a one man operation in America working at home able to dodge and juggle enough to keep my head above water.

STEVE S.

a2jacketpatches said:
Just watched "Death by China" on a whim and have to wonder if they are the problem. What a pity to see a reasonably small company being force to avoid all the fees and complications and take such action. I'm happy to be a one man operation in America working at home able to dodge and juggle enough to keep my head above water.

thats two of us!

sg1011

STEVE S. said:
a2jacketpatches said:

thats two of us!

I'm a small business owner myself in Chicago, but in the service sector so what happens overseas doesn't affect my business. My father was a machinist his whole life and had his own business. After he retired, we would always talk about starting a small specialized machine shop, but that's where we realized that it would be extremely difficult to compete with Chinese manufacturing. They can literally do everything and for a fraction of the cost.

a2jacketpatches

sg1011 said:
STEVE S. said:
a2jacketpatches said:

thats two of us!

I'm a small business owner myself in Chicago, but in the service sector so what happens overseas doesn't affect my business. My father was a machinist his whole life and had his own business. After he retired, we would always talk about starting a small specialized machine shop, but that's where we realized that it would be extremely difficult to compete with Chinese manufacturing. They can literally do everything and for a fraction of the cost.

Just had a Chinese embroidery company contact me through the website. Wish I still had it but essentially it said how they can provide "cheap patches at a faster turnaround" First I said you'll have to pry my sewing machine from my cold dead hands, then defined "cheap" as opposed to inexpensive, then asked how old their youngest employee was. I said my little operation is all American and will stay that way.

Oh, and a couple years back I tried to open up a new market in motorcycle patches, did a handful of the Indian logo and posted on the Indian forum. I was bombarded by guys who were very worried about how I was cheating the company out of money regardless of how minimal it was. Funny thing is that their tattoo thread is almost endless with the same logo being copied onto skin and they ignored me questioning that, think someone reminded me that I was a guest there. And when I said "I should hire" the former workers of the Indian parts Wisconsin factory that moved to Mexico, I was punished with a 3 day suspension. It was only until after this experience that I jumped up on my soap box and do my best to buy all American. Indian as the company name? a Native American portrait in the logo? Licensed patches coming from China? A Mexican parts factory?..........¿Qué coño :lol: