• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The unmodified B15-D......?

Tim P

Given that the USAF was prone to modifying B15 b and C models during their service life, how common was the unmodified D model in service?

Weasel_Loader

They were actually used quite a bit. I am at work right now, but at home I have quite a few good photos of aircrew wearing unmodified B-15Ds. All are of course Bomber aircrew, but I have seen one or two fighter pilots wearing them. The mouton collars just restricted their view too much to use in fighters.

I'll try and find the photos I have tonight and post unless someone else has these same photos and posts them here. ;)

Weasel_Loader

Not sure on dates of production.

Here is a photo of a B-58 crew. I thought I had more stored on my computer. I'll have to scan some really nice ones from a huge book on the history of Strategic Air Command. I know there are a few more crew photos in there with unmodified B-15Ds.

b58people16.jpg

Tim P

seems a personal preference thing almost like the recall for modding was occasionally ignored if it suited the owner. the tanker and hunting boots on the crewmen all allude to a degree of lattitude in dress.