• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Perils of Paypal, spelled out

Lignemaginot

As some of you have seen on my thread regarding the MA-1 that I sold on ebay, there are some real pitfalls to using paypal.

Right now, I'm going through the process of trying to please paypal to the point that they refund the money that was stolen from me by the ebay "buyer." Despite having jumped through all the hoops that they've put in front of me (so far), I'm not terribly optimistic that I will, in fact, recover the money. For sure I'm not going to recover the jacket.

Needless to say, I've been surfing the web to try to figure out just how widespread the issues with paypal are - I've found an Australian site that pretty much spells out how buyers and sellers can be utterly shafted by Paypal:

http://encyclopediadramatica.com/PayPal

Despite this, I'm still putting things on ebay and accepting paypal. I have to assume that these acts of out-an-out fraud are relatively rare... but still, when it happens to you, you definitely want to take a step back and reconsider the whole set-up.

zoomer

The door is open for fraud, I guess, but this is not the best page to read to learn about it. Encyclopedia Dramatica is basically a black humor site.

The page is intended more to entertain than to educate. Headers like "How to rip people off on PayPal" should be a clue.

ausreenactor

Did you ship the item to the approved Paypal standard for your locale? If so you should be okay, otherwise they will pull all the moves they can to make your funds cover the claim. If it was sent Registered and you can track it, they should have resolved it rapidly. Then you can appeal it. Good luck...

Couchy

zoomer

ausreenactor said:
Did you ship the item to the approved Paypal standard for your locale?
What kind standard? Shipping type? Insurance? Tracking? PayPal-supplied address?