• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE FEW

"very overpriced and not very impressive from an authenticity standpoint. Some "pretty" ones though."

Agree...

but "pretty," some of them.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
CBI said:
very overpriced and not very impressive from an authenticity standpoint. Some "pretty" ones though.

I have to say that my H.L.B.Corp D-1 by The Few, is probably the nicest jacket I own.

I don't see how it could be any more authentic.

John Lever

Careful not to have sour grapes here, you have to remember these jackets are for the Japanese market and are priced accordingly. Yes, expensive but the quality is very high.
Some of the shininess can be attributed to the use of flash photography/lighting.
I have the M445, M445a, B-2 and Anj-4. They are all superb.

rich

fleet16b said:
That sure is one ugly , not really authentic looking RAF Irvin.... Yuk !

It's an Irvine apparently! (well, you do see it spelled that way occasionally)
A snip at £1592. Imagine leaving that on the train on a Friday night. But it'd probably still be there on Monday morning.............

John Lever

rich said:
fleet16b said:
That sure is one ugly , not really authentic looking RAF Irvin.... Yuk !

It's an Irvine apparently! (well, you do see it spelled that way occasionally)
A snip at £1592. Imagine leaving that on the train on a Friday night. But it'd probably still be there on Monday morning.............
Very cruel !
it does look less than convincing, and why the Talon zip ?

rich

Very cruel !

I'd agree with your earlier comment John, they do themselves no favours with the photography. Everything looks plasticky to me -
at the prices they're charging you'd think they'd want to showcase their products in a better way. But there's two knowledgeable people here, namely yourself and Deeb who rate these jackets so I know things must be far far better than they appear in the photos. I still wouldn't pay those prices though!

John Lever

rich said:
Very cruel !

I'd agree with your earlier comment John, they do themselves no favours with the photography. Everything looks plasticky to me -
at the prices they're charging you'd think they'd want to showcase their products in a better way. But there's two knowledgeable people here, namely yourself and Deeb who rate these jackets so I know things must be far far better than they appear in the photos. I still wouldn't pay those prices though!
Bevan [Bristolherc] is the man to tell us about The Few

havocpaul

yes, a truly terrible Irvin, makes me want to go on a picnic! They are priced and made for the Japanese fashion market IMO, very well made but not always a true representation of the real jacket.

John Lever

havocpaul said:
yes, a truly terrible Irvin, makes me want to go on a picnic! They are priced and made for the Japanese fashion market IMO, very well made but not always a true representation of the real jacket.
Good point, and it ties in with the original vs. repro thread. It's what people think they looked like that matters if you are selling a dream.

m444uk

This fantasy is quite interesting:

mj9106.jpg

mj9106_2.jpg

http://www.c-king.jp/mccoypages/mccoyhome.html

B6 B3 meets Irvin.

If I was getting a custom jacket made my spec would be this jacket in aniline brown topcoat/veg tanned shearling.
Change to B3 cuffs and B3 side straps.
Add B6 pockets.

John Lever

An expert tells me that there was indeed a design pre-dating the B-3, incorporating features from the Irvin and B-3 as we know it today. If the jacket was made before Henri Chapal invented the waterproof outer coating, then it would look like this in colour.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
John Lever said:
An expert tells me that there was indeed a design pre-dating the B-3, incorporating features from the Irvin and B-3 as we know it today.

Was he referring to the B-1/B-2 jacket with the Irvin-like belt, John?

Or one of the 1933/34 design studies?