• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Early Fun Days

sgbailey2002

Just came across this old photo of John Chapman and me outside Grant's hotel in SF. What year was this Grant? Before John started making jackets. He was still living in the Bay Area. Must be about 2002? I think John is wearing an original M422A and I'm wearing my beloved original B&T AN6552, which came with leather flight cap and fur lined mittens. I drove 2 hours and brought a clothes rack of jackets, just so us boys could hang out and show off jackets and talk about them. Fun early days, when the collecting fever is real strong. And yes I know, 'tuck the shirt in'.
Skip Bailey
John&Skip in SF.jpg

sgbailey2002

Wasn’t it around 03-04 when we met up at the Hump pilots convention in Nashville? Seems like yesterday, but also seems like a lifetime ago.
Yes that's right, we did meet there. That was also the last Hump Pilots Convention as well, as they disbanded after that as it was their 50th convention and they originally thought nobody would be left. You were working on a '40 Ford Coupe then. And yes it does seem like a long time ago, a lifetime for sure.

Grant

Hahaha, great photo Skip! I remember the hotel delivering clothing racks to my room so we could hang the crazy amount of jackets you and John brought. What a day that was!
Here's another photo from 2010 of some of the original Dead Horse Society members meeting up at Thunder over Michigan for one of the largest grouping of B-17's and B-24's since the war. The cat second from left is Paul Saunders from Chicago. Paul was one of the coolest dudes ever and his flight jacket collection rivaled any museum or other serious collector today. Yeah, I'm the nerd with the sunburn and Army Air Force tee!

deadhorse.jpg

sgbailey2002

Hahaha, great photo Skip! I remember the hotel delivering clothing racks to my room so we could hang the crazy amount of jackets you and John brought. What a day that was!
Here's another photo from 2010 of some of the original Dead Horse Society members meeting up at Thunder over Michigan for one of the largest grouping of B-17's and B-24's since the war. The cat second from left is Paul Saunders from Chicago. Paul was one of the coolest dudes ever and his flight jacket collection rivaled any museum or other serious collector today. Yeah, I'm the nerd with the sunburn and Army Air Force tee!

View attachment 76271
And that's Alan on the left and of course me on the right. My wife Lori took the photo at dinner on Saturday night. She met a WASP at Thunder that weekend. We also met an original Tuskegee Airman and bought his book. And met Robert Morgan's widow and bought a signed Memphis Belle cap from her. An all around fabulous weekend. We were some of the original members of the Dead Horse Society.......

Chandler

Was anyone here, currently on VLJ (other than Grant and JC), a member of Marc Weinshenker's first jacket forum on the Deja.com platform (or whatever it should be called)?

I had been into FJs, particularly A-2s, long before the internet, but finding that group was great because I didn't know anyone else who had "jacket fever."

MikeyB-17

I started with ’Flight jackets etc.’ in the late 90’s, but the old Deja forum was spoken of in hushed tones, and the archives were still online, so I had a good look.