• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The B2 shearling cap

warguy

I have two of these in my collection, both decent examples. Since I have not seen much else posted on these, I thought it might be beneficial to others to open a discussion. I have always admired these little caps, they are so iconic of the war in the air in WWII. I also find them distinctly American if that makes sense, and its hard not to imagine that they are essential a leather baseball cap with ear flaps. It is also hard not to think of the B3 and B6 jackets these were often worn with. In the book "Flight Gear by Mathieu Bianchi, he lists known makers as Perry Sportswear, Rough Wear Clothing, Shaw-Barton and Werber Sportswear. I have one example from Perry Sportswear and another from Shaw-Barton I will share here. I invite others to share any examples they may have in their own collection, especially of other manufacturers.

First up, the Perry Sportswear model. It is well made although one can tell these were made in the thousands. This example is made of two different color of leathers, the dark chocolate shearling and a lighter russet shade on the bill and reinforcing tape. The two tone is my personal favorite. I believe the russet shade leather may be horsehide on this example. This piece also has an AAF transfer decal on the left side of the cap, partially hidden by the ear flap. The decal is about 1 1/2 inches in diameter, not too big and not too small in my opinion. Here are some photos.

Attachments

• IMG_1506.JPG
    IMG_1506.JPG
    77.3 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_1507.JPG
    IMG_1507.JPG
    113.2 KB · Views: 206
  • IMG_1508.JPG
    IMG_1508.JPG
    79 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_1509.JPG
    IMG_1509.JPG
    96.5 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_1510.JPG
    IMG_1510.JPG
    79.6 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_1511.JPG
    IMG_1511.JPG
    106 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_1512.JPG
    IMG_1512.JPG
    65.1 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_1513.JPG
    IMG_1513.JPG
    103.7 KB · Views: 135

warguy

As mentioned, the second example in my collection was manufactured by Shaw Barton. It is distinctly different in many ways. First off, it is all dark chocolate in color with no contrasting bill or reinforcing tape on the cap. I have seen that some collector and reenactors prefer this. Also, there is no evidence there was ever a decal or transfer on this hat. The most notable difference in my opinion however, is the stitching of the three main panels along the top. Bianchi in the book mentioned above, (page 8) states the following in his caption of a Perry Sportswear model: "B-2 cap by Perry Sportswear, which differs rom those made by Shaw-Barton by the three lines of assembly stitching on the crown". When I first read this, I assumed Shaw Barton must have only two lines of stitching instead of three ((as the Perry Sportswear photographed in his book has three stitch lines). However I believe what he is trying to express is that Shaw Barton "tucked" their shearling in and stitched it from the underside as opposed to exposing the stitching to the exterior. If you look at the exterior of the cap body and compare it to the Perry Sportswear model, I think you will see what I am describing. It is my understanding that Shaw-Barton was the only manufacturer to construct the B-2 cap in this fashion. Here are some photos of the Shaw-Barton B2. Thanks, and once again, I hope to see some other examples, maybe a redskin and or a Werber.

Attachments

• IMG_1514.JPG
    IMG_1514.JPG
    82.7 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_1515.JPG
    IMG_1515.JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_1516.JPG
    IMG_1516.JPG
    119.3 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_1517.JPG
    IMG_1517.JPG
    71.3 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_1518.JPG
    IMG_1518.JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_1519.JPG
    IMG_1519.JPG
    64.8 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_1520.JPG
    IMG_1520.JPG
    67.9 KB · Views: 162

B-Man2

Well done !
Nice write up and review and thank you .

I’ve personally have never been a fan of these caps, as I remember growing up as a kid when most kids wore winter hats that were made exactly like these caps, but made in wool with padded linings. Had the same type of side mounted ear warmers . My mother made me wear one everyday during the winter months . I hated them back then and It must have left me traumatized;)
DF58864D-2121-43D5-AABC-A28DEF3B41AA.jpeg

Carl

I have a REDSKIN Perry on the way to mine at some point this month .
There was a rumour come speculation that some of the SHAW BARTON examples that can be found are actually "reproduction" but using original labels .
Somthing iirc , it centred around one particular size label .
But for the life of me I cant remember which now ! 7 3/8ths seems to ring a bell , but cant be 100% sure.

warguy

Carl, I posted this same topic on another forum and a member there said a stash of Shaw Barton caps all size 7 1/4 were found In the 1990’s. There was a discussion as to whether or not these caps were original or reproductions. One poster said the caps were original, but with replaced bills or at least bills that showed no wear. Hard for me to understand why all of the bills would have been replaced but who knows. I have never seen one of these so can’t really say myself, but with originals still not all that expensive, I just don’t know how lucrative it would be for the fakers to make this cap and sell as an original. There is just not a large profit margin. In the U.S. ELC reproduction B2’s are much more expensive than most original B2’s I have seen.

Where did you order your Perry redskin?

Carl

Carl, I posted this same topic on another forum and a member there said a stash of Shaw Barton caps all size 7 1/4 were found In the 1990’s. There was a discussion as to whether or not these caps were original or reproductions. One poster said the caps were original, but with replaced bills or at least bills that showed no wear. Hard for me to understand why all of the bills would have been replaced but who knows. I have never seen one of these so can’t really say myself, but with originals still not all that expensive, I just don’t know how lucrative it would be for the fakers to make this cap and sell as an original. There is just not a large profit margin. In the U.S. ELC reproduction B2’s are much more expensive than most original B2’s I have seen.

Where did you order your Perry redskin?
It's an original B2 coming from a guy over here in the UK .
iirc there was mention of those SHAW BARTON's you mention were made from old shearling ?
I dint know how feasible that would be like you say ?
Interestingly though , they are the only B2 caps that I can find any contract information on .
Knowing that the other B2 makers made them under the same contracts as B3's .

jack31916

For what it's worth: back in the early '80's I bought a very nice and convincing repro B-2 cap at Quartermasters' at the Angel in London. These were made from old shearlings with a new leather bill. No label or size in the cap. Repro's do exist for a longer period...

warguy

Yeah I am certain reproductions have been on the market for a long time, I am just not so certain fakes intended to deceive or reproductions with correct SB labels made to look like originals have been around a long time, but I always say never say never in the military collecting field. Carl, when you get your redskin, I would sure love to see you post it here. Best, Kevin

Carl

I certainly will
Yeah I am certain reproductions have been on the market for a long time, I am just not so certain fakes intended to deceive or reproductions with correct SB labels made to look like originals have been around a long time, but I always say never say never in the military collecting field. Carl, when you get your redskin, I would sure love to see you post it here. Best, Kevin
Oh yes !! " Never say never " I have learnt alot using that phrase !
Yes I will post pics when it arrives Kevin :)

Micawber

For what it's worth: back in the early '80's I bought a very nice and convincing repro B-2 cap at Quartermasters' at the Angel in London. These were made from old shearlings with a new leather bill. No label or size in the cap. Repro's do exist for a longer period...

Quartermaster's, there's a name from the past. I was buying from them in the 70's.