• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

********** Sub-Forum Suggestion **********

les_garten

Hi,
I have a suggestion for a sub forum that would be of great benefit, in my opinion of course, to the health and well being of the forum.

I am a member of a Forum called Head-Fi. It is a high end headphone and Audio equipment forum. If you are going to buy Headphones costing $10,000, and I'm not kidding here, you would like to be able to have some trust about the seller.

They have a Buy/Sell Feedback forum. The Topic is the Username. So if you want to know about somebody, you just go to that sub forum and search his username. Most people put their feedback thread link in their signature if they are proud of it.

Here's a link to the main forums:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/

Here's a link to the Buy/Sell Sub Forum
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f41/

Here's a link to the Buyer/Seller Feedback Sub Forum
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f12/

The advantage of this is that Feedback can be detailed. Also it is forever. Unlike Ebay where you can rip some one off and wait out 12 months till the feedback rolls off the books, this is forever. These guys can be brutal too. If someone starts ripping people off or selling bad quality stuff it shows up intheir feedback.

Anybody else like this idea?

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
It's a great idea, but I don't think it's necessary here, we dont have anyone selling commercially, or in any volume.

That forum is huge, with 106,375 members ... when I looked there were 1643 users online, and 56 members listed with birthdays.

Here ... everyone knows your name.

les_garten

deeb7 said:
It's a great idea, but I don't think it's necessary here, we dont have anyone selling commercially, or in any volume.

That forum is huge ... 106,375 members. When I looked there were 1643 users online, and 56 members with birthdays.

I think you may have missed my point. That Forum is not really about commercial vendors. They are reviewed there too, but for the average user there like myself. I don't buy from someone with out a positive feedback thread. You ALWAYS look up the username in the feedback thread, and usually will not buy from someone without an overly positive thread. I've never looked at a vendor thread there. I've looked at hundreds of user feedback threads. Flight Jackets can be misrepresented or a rip off occuring. Maybe it's as simple as a misrepresentation. I have no idea of the people who may have done that here because there is not a repository where people can give their feedback.

It is basically a piece of mind place to see what other people say about the transactions they have had with someone.

Did they pack well?
Did they ship fast?
Did they overcharge for shipping?
Were they easy to deal with?
Did they steal your money?
etc etc

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
les_garten said:
I think you may have missed my point ....

I don't think so, Les ....

It's just my opinion, but I think that with the more intimate nature of this forum, less than a thousand members, we would soon hear about any deal gone wrong.

Even without a formal feedback section, any member here guilty of repeated misbehaviour, would soon be sent to Coventry .... or Spain.

les_garten

deeb7 said:
les_garten said:
I think you may have missed my point ....

I don't think so, Les ....

It's just my opinion, but I think that with the more intimate nature of this forum, less than a thousand members, we would soon hear about any deal gone wrong.

Even without a formal feedback section, any member here guilty of repeated misbehaviour, would soon be sent to Coventry .... or Spain.

Thanx for the feedback

dadgad

I'm not one of the "senators" here but I know it enough and I can tell that this place has balance and common sense and that it's nice.

usafwso

I'm more into two channel audio, electrostatic. Not much into cans on my ears or plugs for that matter.

Jason

Thanks for bringing up the idea though Les. I'm a member of several other technology related forums which have large numbers of members, and a feedback section works well there... but like others have pointed out, VLJ is like an extended family, and we're all looking out for one another here. I don't think there's any need to 'formalise' the process at all, the present system works well. In fact, I can't recall any deal having gone sour here (between members that is). The worst I heard was one of our members spouses attacking a new shearling purchase with scissors :shock:

Even without a formal feedback section, any member here guilty of repeated misbehaviour, would soon be sent to Coventry .... or Spain.[/quote]

No. Please, don´t send them to Spain, we can do without them. What is the story behind the spaniard anyhow?. Any terror story I should know about a fellow cityzen of mine? :eek:

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Pilotomutante said:
No. Please, don´t send them to Spain, we can do without them. What is the story behind the spaniard anyhow?. Any terror story I should know about a fellow cityzen of mine? :eek:

Nothing to worry about .... just banished from the forum, but not a Spaniard, and the exile was already self imposed.

Peter Graham

Jason said:
In fact, I can't recall any deal having gone sour here (between members that is).
I remember a few. One I heard of behind the scenes and another was fought very publicly on the forum. I'm not mentioning any names but they are current members. Thankfully this is very rare and I agree that we have no need for a sub forum.