• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stolen jacket- not WWII though.

watchmanjimg

a2jacketpatches said:
Unfortunately I think the only thing accomplished here is the destruction of a fond memory. It's not like we're saving an unknowing buyer from purchasing a fake, setting a lie straight, or helping to bring this jacket home. I think it's safe to say gone forever whatever it is. Now there's probably a bit of embarrassment and a family second guessing the whole story. I'm as guilty as anyone feeling the need to educated the people out there that mis-identify WW2 items, but I'm selective about it. Usually only informing the money grabbers with a quick GOOGLE story to pass around or the innocent guy or gal that just doesn't know. In this case, personally, I care more about the family moving with the memories intact.

I deleted the Reddit post in an abundance of caution as I really wasn't trying to hurt anyone's feelings. I guess what bugs me is the profound ignorance that permeates every aspect of this story. If we assume that the husband and wife are that clueless about what an actual WW2 jacket looks like (and apparently they are), this must apply to everyone at the news station as well as the pawn shop owner. I totally agree that sparing someone's feelings should in some cases be secondary to educating them, but this is so fundamental that it's almost like not correcting someone who still believes the earth is flat. Given that recovery of the jacket is so unlikely wouldn't you rather they spend the rest of their lives knowing that they didn't really lose a WW2 heirloom but simply an ordinary leather jacket once owned by a family member?

I have an admittedly loose analogy from my own family. My late maternal grandfather served in the Pacific during WW2 and brought back a captured Japanese rifle and bayonet. The rifle was gone before I was born, but the bayonet remained alongside his bedpost until he gave it to me sometime in 2004. He also gave me a musette bag that I spent my entire life believing he had carried in the war, but never asked. Well, in 2004 I asked and he explained that in the 1960s he bought the bag in a surplus store to carry his fishing tackle (which was in the bag when he gave it to me, along with a sealed bottle of WW2 bug repellant and a GI pocketknife that he did carry in the war). While everything my grandfather gave me is precious, were I to lose the musette bag at least I'd know that it wasn't a memento of his war service like the bayonet is. I think the Palmquists are entitled (if not obligated) to have the same knowledge.

dmar836

Those who haven't dealt with the media may not realize this is everyday stuff. Accuracy is certainly not a main concern. They disguise their voices and lie about relations just to get phone info from private organizations, get to the right people, etc. they just don't care. Dealt with that personally.
I think we are kinda overthinking this one. Also, though I've watched the piece only once, I still think it's also possible they did have a vintage jacket stolen then looked for a pic of Grandpa in "a leather jacket" and didn't know the difference or just don't think there are many differences anyone else would see. The granddaughter did describe it as "darker brown" and it looks like the pic is of a modern black jacket.
Lots of ignorance but not likely anyone trying to deceive anyone.
JMO,
Dave

watchmanjimg

dmar836 said:
I think we are kinda overthinking this one.

Dave, I agree completely but overthinking goes with the territory around here. My concern was that the folks involved in the news "story" are obviously underthinking. I feel sorry for them, and not just for the loss of the jacket . . . ;)

dmar836 said:
Lots of ignorance but not likely anyone trying to deceive anyone.

Only themselves.

watchmanjimg

While we're on the subject, I recall a now-deceased local WW2 veteran who was decorated by Patton himself and had an incredible collection of items he personally sent back from the battlefield. I had the good fortune of visiting Bob's war room, which contained helmets and field gear captured from the Vichy French, German, and Italian armies as well as his own US-issued gear. He told me that while recuperating from a combat injury he was assigned to an AAF unit and somehow acquired an A-2, which was promptly seized by an officer who wanted it for himself. Evidently Bob raised a stink and was able to recover the jacket, which remained in his possession for the rest of his life. I asked to see it of course, whereupon Bob proudly showed me his seemingly brand-new A-2 made by . . . US Authentic.

I didn't say a word. :roll:

Atticus

I learned a long time ago to never tell anyone anything about his clothing unless he specifically asks...at least twice. The times I've tried only resulted in me feeling more like a dork than I actually am. Wearing your uncle's woodland M-65 that he wore during Tet? Yep! That's a cool field jacket. Rocking a blue-tag Cooper that was issued to your dad when he finished at Pensacola back in '66? Cool bomber jacket! I love it!

AF

watchmanjimg

Atticus said:
I learned a long time ago to never tell anyone anything about his clothing unless he specifically asks...at least twice. The times I've tried only resulted in me feeling more like a dork than I actually am. Wearing your uncle's woodland M-65 that he wore during Tet? Yep! That's a cool field jacket. Rocking a blue-tag Cooper that was issued to your dad when he finished at Pensacola back in '66? Cool bomber jacket! I love it!

AF

Geoff, I wouldn't have dared say anything to Bob about his jacket. He was a nice old gentleman and the genuine article. I saw his Silver Star and Purple Heart along with the huge chunk of shrapnel that earned it for him. After WW2 he joined a Naval Reserve aviation unit and retired as a Chief Petty Officer. Here's a nice photo of Bob in his blue winter service uniform (saved in my old cell phone from the day I visited his home). The CIB from his WW2 Army days is visible, as are the ribbons for the Silver Star and Purple Heart:

20150324_163655_zpsvpadvjzj.jpg

dmar836

Without that pic the USMF group would call you a liar. Everyone knows you can't have that CIB on a navy coat! You built it!

watchmanjimg

dmar836 said:
Without that pic the USMF group would call you a liar. Everyone knows you can't have that CIB on a navy coat! You built it!

So true, although I ran across the following while browsing the forum.

Former paratrooper serving in the USAF during the 1950s:

WW2 42nd Infantry veteran who went on to serve in the early USAF. This uniform is stated to have come with discharge paperwork outlining all the awards shown:

I'm not always thrilled with its Search function, but USMF has been a wealth of information for me (while the "For Sale" pages have kept me from attaining financial wealth). However, as you point out there are goofballs mixed in with some very knowledgeable members.

a2jacketpatches

I've got a leather USAF tag as well but that may be a Para-Rescue thing. I do vuagely remember something aboutformer service insignia being authorized but forget the details.

And yes, the USMF forum is a wealth of knowledge aaaaaaaaaand, quite a few that just hop on board when the knowledgeable guys say something definitive. And God help ya if you've got some questions concerning conflicting evidence. Back a while ago, a discussion about a Mitchel helmet cover I found and when the long flaps were actually made and issued. I had some valid points that could not just simply be disregarded. But a handful of guys that basically had only because "I said so" type of answers got pretty mad when I stumped them with a contract list. At that point the guy who compiled the list over many years of collecting and researching was criticized. Sorry, but that doesn't fly with me. Also, very funny to see that when a top dog who's been watching steps in and backs me up a bit, all the little "hey Spike" guys fall back into ranks. Remember that cartoon? Hey Spike, whatcha doin Spike? The little dog hanging with the big dog?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts