• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steerhide?

Dr H

I have a collaborator in my Uni with the kit and the know how to give it a shot. I could take it up with him in a couple of weeks. Any likely samples out there? Probably need only milligrammes...

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
With all the talk of it's possible use, I don't recall any member suggesting that his original A-2 might be steerhide.

Suitable samples could be difficult to come by.

Vcruiser

deeb7 said:
With all the talk of it's possible use, I don't recall any member suggesting that his original A-2 might be steerhide.

Suitable samples could be difficult to come by.

That's what I was thinking David. We're not trying to find out if A2s were made of steer rather than HH...but whether there are any elusive steerhide A2s among the many A2s yet in existance....

Willy McCoy

I saw that Wright Patterson AFB had a link on their home page for requesting information when I looking for information. They had the "Freedom of Information" spelled out in the header too. I asked if I could obtain some obsolete nylon jacket series information (dates & manufacturers) for a non-profit public forum. I have received no reply and expect none either. I would imagine asking for jacket information is a risk for them no matter how old/obsolete.

watchmanjimg

zoomer said:

Isn't he merely suggesting that Uncle Sam is reluctant to turn over information, however outdated and seemingly incapable of adversely affecting national security?

zoomer

Um, sure...but "risk"? Seems a riskless sort of risk to the nation...maybe more so to museum staff.

SuinBruin

A formal request under FOIA might yield some actual info, though there may be some associated costs.

HackerF15E

Willy McCoy said:
I saw that Wright Patterson AFB had a link on their home page for requesting information when I looking for information. They had the "Freedom of Information" spelled out in the header too. I asked if I could obtain some obsolete nylon jacket series information (dates & manufacturers) for a non-profit public forum. I have received no reply and expect none either. I would imagine asking for jacket information is a risk for them no matter how old/obsolete.

FOIA requests have a MANDATORY reply within 30 days, so if you have made a FOIA request that hasn't been replied to, it may be because you didn't provide the proper information for them to reply.

I've made numerous FOIA requests, and some about information that had to be evaluated and declassified prior to release for the FOIA request, and they ALL were replied to (at least initially) within that 30 days.

Remember, also, that just because you make a FOIA request, it doesn't mean they have any information to give to you about it. In some regard, the military keeps great records...and in other cases, they keep terrible records. Just because an organization can't find anything to give to you doesn't mean they're trying to hide something.

Every time I've made a FOIA request on something that was not declassified, they always sent me the documents I was looking for but were redacted. In one case, a FOIA about the F-117 back in the early 90s resulted in a 20 or 30 page paper from Tactical Air Command that had every single line blacked out. There wasn't a single useable word in the whole document...yet they replied to my FOIA and sent the document anyway.

So, I don't believe that the NMUSAF's lack of a reply means that they're trying to keep anything secret. I think there's a much less sinister reason, like a miscommunication.