• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Star Sportswear A-2 Project (Made By Greatest Generation Clothing Co.)

Technonut2112

Well, that about wraps-up 'Project Star'... ;) In closing, I can say that by previously owning repro jackets from Eastman, RMNZ, Aero, GW, and others, Steve S's work (cutting, stitching, etc.), is just about on par with any of them. With some slight tweaks, his Star A-2 pattern will be right-on-the-money. :) Here are some final pics:

IMG_2997_zpsyhz3bglj.jpg

IMG_2999_zps9vaejg7c.jpg

IMG_3001_zpsh9mccc4t.jpg

IMG_3004_zpsp6lesx4u.jpg

IMG_3007_zpsc0kg2x6g.jpg

Next up: Steve is starting work on another AN-J-3 for me. :) This one will be made from seal Indian goat (which has reddish undertones), with red (brick) rib-rack knits (as found on his authentic original), and a cotton A-2-style lining (also in a brick color). The zipper will be a late 1940's Talon. :cool: Here's a pic of the Indian goat with the knits to show contrast:

IMG_3206_zps4rgd2nut.jpg

derleicaman

I have one of John's later Star A-2's that I picked up from Flying Yankee. It is one of John's best in my opinion. That Star is just a great pattern. Looks good and very comfortable to wear. Yours looks great! Wear it in good health.

Technonut2112

Be careful, Roughwear may try to swap his original Star for yours.

Lol! :) Strange thing though, since I've 'fixed' the fit more to my liking, and applied conditioner, I more than likely would turn down a trade for an original. ;) The hide is supple, but also feels sturdy, and has a good drape. I can't wait till fall arrives to break it in properly by lots of wear. :)

Steve really did cut a nice pattern, and constructed the Star well. More pics:

IMG_3011_zpssevhnyff.jpg

IMG_3013_zpstw99ztwi.jpg

IMG_3020_zpsah2yhkqp.jpg

IMG_3017_zps1x9n1i6k.jpg

IMG_3022_zpsjbvfbuvz.jpg

IMG_3021_zpsiiyctydz.jpg

IMG_3023_zps2s3rhgh0.jpg

Technonut2112

tech, give me your email and i will send ya some pix of my original star. it is one of the more uncommon ones made of a lighter russet.

Thanks for the pics. It's interesting to see one in a lighter russet. Since you said it's ok to post the pics, I'll put them up. :)

IMG_0414_zpsik4vmymq.jpg

IMG_0419_zpscp8qs6hl.jpg

IMG_0420_zps3rmpkkb8.jpg

IMG_0416_zpsaabfnzkk.jpg

IMG_0415_zpsuvmkmay1.jpg

VERY nice original Star. :) It also shows a good comparison on how well Steve S made, and followed patterns taken from the Star he had. ;)

I noticed the collar on mine looks pretty wrinkled in the pics from my last post. I can't seem to edit the post to add pics, but did manage to straighten the collar out some... Much better, huh? :)

IMG_3032_zpstt6gueoe.jpg

IMG_3031_zpsntqkoy9l.jpg

Technonut2112

I've been wearing the Star as much as possible considering it's summer... Thank God for good, cool, AC. ;) It just seems to look better after each wearing. Won't be long till fall. :)

IMG_3042_zpsumasiq01.jpg

IMG_3047_zpskp27ybzi.jpg

IMG_3046_zpseidlphpc.jpg

IMG_3048_zpsnscoctr5.jpg

Technonut2112

Finally getting some great jacket wearing weather... :) Snapped these pics on the way out today. The Star fits like a glove, and is breaking-in nicely IMO:

IMG_3092_zpsssmuwyjb.jpg

IMG_3088_zpsyakygwlb.jpg

IMG_3087_zpsl7oooebl.jpg

Technonut2112

The previous pics posted were taken when it was overcast, and turned out poorly. I finally think I was able to capture the true color of the jacket today with better clarity:

IMG_3105%202_zpstk4jzxtk.jpg

IMG_3105%203_zpsf9lahejb.jpg

IMG_3107%202_zpscv5avqrb.jpg

IMG_3108%202_zpsogau4ejb.jpg

IMG_3110%202_zpslalzdme4.jpg