• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Squadron Patch Opinions

TankBuster

Hey all,

Just looking for some opinions on a patch I just picked up. My opinion is that it is a very good modern repro, maybe even one of the Buzz Rickson copies they made for a B-10 they did. If it is indeed a repro, it is one of the better ones I've seen and a little scary!

Patch in question:

imagejpg1_zps3399fcc6.jpg

imagejpg2_zpsb80ba1e4.jpg

imagejpg3_zps2a79c6cd.jpg

imagejpg4_zpsd836915f.jpg

a2jacketpatches

Looks good to me, I've seen this one in the flesh and it's not that rare. Slight variations are quite possible from run to run.

TankBuster

Thanks for your opinion. It just smells kind of new, and is very crisp for a 70 year old patch. I'm still on the fence, but open to more opinions.

TankBuster

Here is the near dead on copy that BR did a few years back. If they can make one that good....

For the record, I hope I'm wrong as I got a very good deal on this patch and would love for it to be the real deal. It would also have to be the cleanest example of this patch out there. Normally I'm pretty good with patches, but admittedly this one has me a little puzzled!

brjacket2_zps2257194f.jpg

a2jacketpatches

Well I retract what I said earlier, smell is a very important factor, very important. And I didn't realize how close Buzz got to the real thing.

EMBLEMHUNTER

JMO, but it really looks "bright" in colors and just too "New" looking for 70 years old ,I could be wrong , but I'm leaning towards it being a BR repro ................
The posted "originals" all have the Old faded color looks, moth nips etc , but even if it is a repro if you got it at a good price it's still a nice patch !

TankBuster

Thanks for the opinions guys. I sent it back. I only want to have original patches in my collection. I just wasn't comfortable with this one. Like I said, I'm 85% sure that it's a newer made patch, but a excellent reproduction. I may never know for sure, but I've collected patches a long time, and this one just didn't seem right. The new smell and overall brightness of the patch were my biggest issues.

For the record, the ebay seller claimed it was a direct vet purchase from the family and says it is just in mint condition. Maybe....but if I was questioning it, I'm sure others would as well. Some things a guy just has to have in hand to make a better informed decision.

a2jacketpatches

Yeah, well even the vets make up stories, never mind all the guys in between. Fakes, repops, and the real stuff grows a story quicker than Sht through a tin horn. Once I hand delivered a near mint unfired 1918 Luger to a guy in Western Massachusetts and he actually asked me if I minded that he was going to say his late Great Uncle brought it back from the war. I pulled it out of an old gun safe on Cape Cod, the seller was calling it a P-38 from WW2. Think I posted here a while back that a vet was showing me his "issued" Post war civilian model B-15 jacket up in Big Bear Mountain, CA.