• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spiewak A2

jacketimp

Roughwear said:
DUBOWA2 said:
So now we got the inset sleeve covered whats the diiference with the epaulettes on the Spiewak .I checked on the Good Wear site whats new and John has a Spiewak posted ,the pocket did not have the big inside reinforcing tab for the pocket snap .

All the best jeff

The shoulder seam is centred beneath the epaulets and this contract is typically broader in the shoulders than many.

refresh my memory......

waht other contract has this epaulettes feature.... ;)

Dr H

I'm woefully ignorant of the development of the A2 in terms of the manufacturers involved, but I note from JC's site that the companies producing Broncos, United Sheeplined and I. Spiewak & Sons, A-2s were all in the family of Isaak Spiewak (which must be unsual in this context :?: ).

Given the superficial similarities (at least to my untutored eye) between the Spiewak pictured elsewhere in the thread and the Doniger (I note the difference in nipple snaps and ring snaps in the pockets and the reinforced stitching at the base of the zipper box, but many of the other features - collar points, epaulettes, goatskin, colour of knits, rotated sleeve, silhouette - seem remarkably similar.

Does anybody know whether there were any links between Spiewak and Doniger at that time, or is this just coincidence (convergent evolution :roll: )?

Roughwear

Dr H said:
I'm woefully ignorant of the development of the A2 in terms of the manufacturers involved, but I note from JC's site that the companies producing Broncos, United Sheeplined and I. Spiewak & Sons, A-2s were all in the family of Isaak Spiewak (which must be unsual in this context :?: ).

Given the superficial similarities (at least to my untutored eye) between the Spiewak pictured elsewhere in the thread and the Doniger (I note the difference in nipple snaps and ring snaps in the pockets and the reinforced stitching at the base of the zipper box, but many of the other features - collar points, epaulettes, goatskin, colour of knits, rotated sleeve, silhouette - seem remarkably similar.

Does anybody know whether there were any links between Spiewak and Doniger at that time, or is this just coincidence (convergent evolution :roll: )?

I'm not sure if there is a Spiewak family link with Doniger, but if you read this old thread some interesing details emerge.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=146

Roughwear

jacketimp said:
DUBOWA2 said:
So now we got the inset sleeve covered whats the diiference with the epaulettes on the Spiewak .I checked on the Good Wear site whats new and John has a Spiewak posted ,the pocket did not have the big inside reinforcing tab for the pocket snap .

All the best jeff

well spotted.........

i'm sure jc will get the pocket tab right next time..........

I think you are both wrong here. On my jacket the outline of the pocket snap reinforcement leather is clear because the leather is broken in. On John's this is not the case so the outline will not yet show. John does say he has copied every nuance of this A2 and he would not get a detail like this wrong!

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Dr H said:

I think it's unlikely, although the A-2 contract appears in his name ... David Doniger was McGregor Sportswear Inc.

Roughwear

deeb7 said:
Dr H said:

I think it's unlikely, although the A-2 contract appears in his name ... David Doniger was McGregor Sportswear Inc.

David is correct here. I imagine there was quite a bit of cross fertilisation in terms of A2 jacket design between different makers.

Dr H

Thanks both for enlightening me. :)

As ever, never a simple answer to how a design evolves, especially when the number of manufacturers was relatively small and many located in the same city or region.

A

Anonymous

Roughwear said:
jacketimp said:
DUBOWA2 said:

All the best jeff

well spotted.........

i'm sure jc will get the pocket tab right next time..........

I think you are both wrong here. On my jacket the outline of the pocket snap reinforcement leather is clear because the leather is broken in. On John's this is not the case so the outline will not yet show. John does say he has copied every nuance of this A2 and he would not get a detail like this wrong!

Andrew I have PM John Chapman and asked if his jacket features this tab .It will be interesting to see .I have borrowed your picture I hope you do not mind .

All the best Jeff .

lazar

Andrew, thanks for sharing this beauty! That´s what makes this forum what it is!
Did you sew the zip and the cuffs by hand, using the original holes?

Mathias

A

Anonymous

I think you are both wrong here. On my jacket the outline of the pocket snap reinforcement leather is clear because the leather is broken in. On John's this is not the case so the outline will not yet show. John does say he has copied every nuance of this A2 and he would not get a detail like this wrong![/quote]

Andrew I have PM John Chapman and asked if his jacket features this tab .It will be interesting to see .I have borrowed your picture I hope you do not mind .

All the best Jeff .[/quote]
Well Andrew you were right John got back to me and told me his Spiewak jacket do in fact have the large tab inside just as your is and showed me a picture of the inside of the pocket .He did comment that the more unusual feature was that your jacket displayed 2 diiferent types of snaps he has never seen that before .I should not have questioned the master :oops:

All the best jeff

Roughwear

lazar said:
Andrew, thanks for sharing this beauty! That´s what makes this forum what it is!
Did you sew the zip and the cuffs by hand, using the original holes?

Mathias

All the sewing was machine done with the original line of stitch holes followed as closely as possible. On this one there are both the original stitch holes for the zip and later ones for the '50s Crown, some of which didn't quite match up with the original ones!

Roughwear

DUBOWA2 said:

All the best Jeff .[/quote]
Well Andrew you were right John got back to me and told me his Spiewak jacket do in fact have the large tab inside just as your is and showed me a picture of the inside of the pocket .He did comment that the more unusual feature was that your jacket displayed 2 diiferent types of snaps he has never seen that before .I should not have questioned the master :oops:

All the best jeff[/quote]

Thanks for this Jeff. I'm glad John got the pocket detail correct. It is nice that he confirmed the use of the two types of snaps is unusual.

A

Anonymous

This thread has been going since Saturday 12.30 pm 240+ views and 35 replies 4 pages.I guess there is interest in original A-2 type jackets wouldnt you thinks guys !. Good Wears are nice but the real thing is is the real thing and always will be .

All the best Jeff .

Roughwear

DUBOWA2 said:
This thread has been going since Saturday 12.30 pm 240+ views and 35 replies 4 pages.I guess there is interest in original A-2 type jackets wouldnt you thinks guys !. Good Wears are nice but the real thing is is the real thing and always will be .

All the best Jeff .

Let's hope others post their originals in due course and that includes one very active member who has a nice collection, which is just waiting to be enjoyed by others here. :)

A

Anonymous

Roughwear said:
DUBOWA2 said:

All the best Jeff .

Let's hope others post their originals in due course and that includes one very active member who has a nice collection, which is just waiting to be enjoyed by others here. :)

Amen to that Andrew all the best Jeff