• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spiewak A2

Roughwear

A few weeks ago I bought a size 42 Spiewak from a collector in the US. The goatskin was in great condition, without flaking or rot, but the knits had to be replaced along with the 1950s chunky Crown zip. I have fitted new cuffs and a triple-marked Talon and repaired the lining. I have the vet's name tag, but as it had been removed from the jacket I decided for present to leave it that way. I will research him in due course. I like the pointed collars on Spiewak jackets and the wider shoulders. This one is rather unsual in that it has the typical ring snaps at the collar, but ball snaps for the pocket closures. My other CBI painted Spiewak just has ring snaps. The goatskin is thick, with nice reddish tones.

022-15.jpg

027-10.jpg

023-12.jpg

024-12.jpg

025-9.jpg

026-12.jpg

028-5.jpg

029-2.jpg

030-4.jpg

031-5.jpg

018-23.jpg

019-15.jpg

020-16.jpg

jacketimp

:lol:

not bad for a pea brain......................

but then we have nanotechnology.......

doktor ian.........................to the brain enhancement operating theatre....

bazelot

Great jacket. Looks like the leather is in amazing shape. Great restoration work as well.

TankBuster

Very Nice Andrew! Gotta love those goat A-2's. They are normally very solid,
and tend to stay in very good shape.

Roughwear

Silver Surfer said:
nicely done my man. the potential was there, but need a carefull hand to get the jac up and flying.

Thanks Victor. This is one of my favourite A2s. The goat is so robust that I have no fear about wearing it regularly.

A

Anonymous

Nice jacket Andrew ,the patina is superb and the grain just jumps out at yer.The leather reinforcing tab inside the pocket is larger than the pocket flap .I think when a Spiewak jacket loses it label it get mistaken for a Dubow by many people .Another plus it fits you well and you have the name tag .

All the best Jeff

Peter Graham

The Spiewak I owned was the same. Ring snaps at the collar and ball snap pockets. I now challenge you to smile in your next jacket pics !

Andrew

Awesome looking jacket and as usual an excellent fit. I would think that if you wanted one good original wearer this would be it but everyone you have seems to be like that! Who did the repairs for you and what sort of money did it cost to do?

Great detail shots, I don't quite follow the inset sleeve thing so i'll go off and check out the details.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Leadsky said:
Thanks for that Dave, what was the reason for doing it?

I don't think there was any particular advantage, Andrew ... just the way they drew up their pattern.

better duck

Andrew: great jacket, and amazing how much better that goatskin holds up (in general) than horsehide. It looks like it could go on forever. Very beautifully done job restoring this jacket. And looking good on you.

I'd been wondering about that "inset sleeve" too. My ELC Star has it too. Eastman on their site state that (...) "the Star Sportswear A-2 contract was made in it's thousands, with a distinctly smart cut. Unlike most other manufacturers of the A-2, Star made theirs with a 'set-in' sleeve, with quite a high cut 'sleeve-head', giving the garment a somewhat sharper and more suit-like appearance."
I for the world can't discover anything "more suit-like in appearance" when comparing Star to my GW Dubow, GW Aero or any other jacket. So I just shrug and wear it (or will do again, once I get it back from the artist :) )

A

Anonymous

So now we got the inset sleeve covered whats the diiference with the epaulettes on the Spiewak .I checked on the Good Wear site whats new and John has a Spiewak posted ,the pocket did not have the big inside reinforcing tab for the pocket snap .

All the best jeff

Roughwear

Leadsky said:
Awesome looking jacket and as usual an excellent fit. I would think that if you wanted one good original wearer this would be it but everyone you have seems to be like that! Who did the repairs for you and what sort of money did it cost to do?

Great detail shots, I don't quite follow the inset sleeve thing so i'll go off and check out the details.

Thanks Andrew. The repairs cost me very little as I do this kind of work myself. I must has replaced the knits on over 20 A2s by now and installed a similar number of zips. It may seem strange but this is one of the aspects of this hobby that I enjoy as its practical and a contrast with work!

Roughwear

DUBOWA2 said:
So now we got the inset sleeve covered whats the diiference with the epaulettes on the Spiewak .I checked on the Good Wear site whats new and John has a Spiewak posted ,the pocket did not have the big inside reinforcing tab for the pocket snap .

All the best jeff

The shoulder seam is centred beneath the epaulets and this contract is typically broader in the shoulders than many.

jacketimp

DUBOWA2 said:

All the best jeff

well spotted.........

i'm sure jc will get the pocket tab right next time..........