• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Soaking my Irvin! See the result:

flyboy

This is how the wool looked when my Aero Irvin was brand new:
Golfm2008B003sh4.jpg

And this is the result after soaking it down in water and letting it dry in the sun for two days:
L1050785.jpg

I like the new look!!! :D

jonnyboy

Søren - it looks great, with lots more character.

It's a definite improvement, and I'm glad you're happy with the results!

Cheers,

Jon

rich

If you wanted to take it further Soren, try sticking it in the washing machine, maybe John (Lever) will give you instructions if he reads this. It does gives a good result.

Check out the fleece on this wartime Irvin, it's much like yours.

cf1.jpg

cf2.jpg

cf3.jpg

John Lever

The first time is the worst in terms of nerves. I think Soren may struggle to get his jacket in the drum as I think it's quite massive.
If you are ready to go to the next level, try soaking it and spin drying, allow to dry naturally for 24 hours then tumble dry. That will give the very pronounced nubbly wool buds.
It looks fine to me as it is though.

flyboy

@ Hamsterbear: Comes as a surprising side effect to the soakingtreatment ;)

@ John: I am afraid it would ruin - not the jacket - but the washing machine and the tumbler. And - as you - I also think the jacket looks much better now.

flyboy

OK - did it again. And this time bigtime. Soaking in the bathtub for 'bout half an hour. Hanging in the sun and breeze for 24 hours
(Couldn't give it a spin in the washer - jacket too big or washer too small)
When damp into the dryer first on cold air - then on with the heat - just a little at first - a bit more - and out to hang in the sun again.

Here is the result:

L1050789.jpg

L1050791.jpg

L1050799.jpg

I like it! :D

Did the jacket shrink? No!
Did it ruin the leathers surface? No!
Did it get stiff? ....well...yes. A little.
But the next step will be a good and solid rub down with Pecard - that should do it.
And then the jacket should be "as good as old."

jonnyboy

Looks great - well done Søren!

Looks like it has much more character now. A huge improvement.

Cheers,

Jon

John Lever

Well done Soren.
The only suggestion I would make is to not treat with Pecards. It will take a few weeks yet for the jacket to be completely dry, during this period the outer character will change still further and improve. It will end up looking 10 years older.

Falcon_52

I agree with the others. The wool texture is much improved; a great result. You are a brave man! Now you just need some Irvin weather...

Noel

Vcruiser

Looks great..!
Out of curiosity...does the jacket still have a lanolin 'feel' to the wool..?
Van

flyboy

Hard to answer that one Van, since I don't really know what a "lanolin feel" is. But I think, I can say that the wool feels "more dry" now. Not as super soft as before....if it makes any sence ;)

Vcruiser

flyboy said:
Hard to answer that one Van, since I don't really know what a "lanolin feel" is. But I think, I can say that the wool feels "more dry" now. Not as super soft as before....if it makes any sence ;)

Soren
My Aero B-6 has a slight 'hand lotion' type feel to the wool. I'm assuming this is the natural lanolin in sheeps wool.
Yep...makes sense to me!
Van

flyboy

See what you mean. But since I used plain cold water - not even warm - to soak it, I guesse the lanolin is still there to some degree at least.
Isn't it there originally to protect the sheep against the rain? My treatment couldn't be worse than a heavy shower in northern Scotland - and I did not tumble it with extreme heat either. But the main thing is I got rid of the very "fluffy look" - and supersoft feeling. Now it looks and feels and smells like and old sheep - from the north of Scotland. :lol: And not something from a fashionmagazine...

flyboy

Found some pics from September 2009 - The jacket was brand new - just out of the box.
One and half year of wear and tear, two times soaking treatment after, it looks great, I think. Besides - it has shrunk to my size now. It fits perfectly and snug now. Just like the Levis we swam in and let'em dry up on the body back in the 60s.

AEROIRVIN004-2.jpg

L1050805.jpg

AEROIRVIN002.jpg

L1050801.jpg

AEROIRVIN005-1.jpg

L1050806.jpg

AEROIRVIN014-1.jpg

L1050812.jpg