• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

smwholesale.com (WWII gear site)

ButteMT61

OK, I've never heard of this one before. My son's friend - whom I've been trying to find a good, used A-2 for told him "all the guys are talking about this site". OK, have a look. I've not heard of them, but they proclaim they've made gear for the "Upcoming H.B.O.(sic) epic Band Of Brothers) when looking at the tanker jacket (US).
The gear frankly looks like mediocre stuff at best. The A-2 is $500 and looks like crap. Anyone ever hear of these people? Have they really provided on-screen gear?
I told him if he spent $500 on that I'd kill him and he'd be banished from my home :lol:

http://www.smwholesale.com

ButteMT61

I didn't look beyond the A-2 and tanker jackets. From those pics, they look awful. Is the German gear that much better?

9thinfdiv

They have had problems in the past with promises not kept but are getting better. The website hasn't been updated in over a decade but they do have a current ebay page. Their Type II service shoes are the best (IMO) on the market as far as accuracy is concerned and break in very well. I have had mine since 2000 and have worn them for every event I have done. The A-2, I think, is made by US Authentic so no great shakes there. I have heard that the tanker jacket isn't a bad product. Jerry Lee, of What Price Glory, carries SM Wholesale's products and does a great business.

saunders

m444uk said:
ButteMT61 said:
I didn't look beyond the A-2 and tanker jackets. From those pics, they look awful. Is the German gear that much better?

These are dead ringers for originals, except a mint pair would be worth $4000

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WWII-GERMAN-CAM ... 0401713695

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WWII-GERMAN-44- ... 0380126894

I second that one - absolutely the best repro W-SS camo. on the market at any price. They are frequently washed (and sometimes w/ fake repairs) and sold as genuine by the unscrupulous to mid-level and novice collectors. Steve once made a one-piece pz. coverall from his amazing hand-screened poplin fabric in plane tree 4, all sewn w/ original SS/RZM black thread. He even went the extra length and had the button holes and buttons sewn with original grey thread, too. It ended up changing hands a few times and getting the full wash treatment, repairs and patches added, buttons replaced, etc., then they added a "P" and a "W" in white lead-based paint to the front an back legs (one letter per leg), plus a "P" to the back panel of the top portion. It was the most incredible fraudulent camo piece I've ever seen. The only real telltale signs were that the fabric just isn't as tightly woven as the real deal and it lacks that little something you need to see under magnification, if you know what I mean. Plus the camo pattern was screened to closely together and didn't repeat at the correct interval when compared to the genuine pattern we see on zelts and smocks. Scary, very scary, and it was going to sell for 25 Gs in 1995 to one of the top dealers in the world.

When was the last time you saw mint SS pz. camo trousers sell for $4, 000? Maybe some well-worn trousers would be 4 Gs. These days you need need counting! I sold a well-worn camo wrap back in Feb. for considerably more than that. It was washed quite a bit, and with a crazy-cool patch job about 10" x 7" on the right sleeve made from plane tree 5. This came from a Canadian vet I know, along w/ a nice SS EM dagger and some interesting insignia.

I didn't realize until now there were any 3rd Reich collectors or enthusiasts on this forum. Interesting ...

Saunders

saunders

9thinfdiv said:
They have had problems in the past with promises not kept but are getting better. The website hasn't been updated in over a decade but they do have a current ebay page. Their Type II service shoes are the best (IMO) on the market as far as accuracy is concerned and break in very well. I have had mine since 2000 and have worn them for every event I have done. The A-2, I think, is made by US Authentic so no great shakes there. I have heard that the tanker jacket isn't a bad product. Jerry Lee, of What Price Glory, carries SM Wholesale's products and does a great business.

I hope they do clean up their act, as some of their offerings are simply delicious. Steve is just a bit flakey, or he maybe a genuine crook ... The A-2s I saw were made in- house and were about 10% off of excellent. They were based on the ELC house A-2 of 1990, so they had Talon zips of that era, but a great A-2 for $350 at the time. Definitely leagues more accurate and better made and using better materials than U. S. Authentic. I have no clue what they offer today, so do your homework if purchasing from them, and always pay via credit card.

If you want to indulge yourself in the best Type II shoes, drop a wad on the those sold by MASH in Japan. They are in a league of their own. Made on the original lasts, which I can't think of any other maker being able to say in good faith. HPA had some of these and I got the last pair left in my size.

Saunders

saunders

ButteMT61 said:

Their German gear is, quite often unsurpassed. The camo - SS, Heeres and Luft, is simply the best in the world, but some of their footwear leaves a lot to be desired in my mind. But of the major players making WWII German footwear, they are be the best. Their DAK shoes look great, though some coming out of eastern EU could be the best in this area now.

Saunders

ButteMT61

Thanks a lot guys. Must say, having never heard of them, and looking at their site, I was unimpressed.
The guys looking there are German reenactors, so that makes sense. I still hold firm on the A-2. Certainly for $500, one can get a better jacket.
I'll have a look around. I've used ATF before and been happy. I'm in need of some new low boots, so thanks for the info thus far.

Marv

Didn't SMWholesale supply the USMC Boondockers, USMC uniforms & kit through WPG for the Pacific mini-series or am I incorrect.

Andrew

Thanks Paul. Since my footwear season is only slightly longer than my jacket season I should just buy a pair to find out.