• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silk Scarfs

Phantomfixer

These look totally cool but seem touristy...If you can find an old white parachute canopy. One that is already trashed is better, cut out some nylon (silk if you find an early one) , sew the ends up, and instant original scarf....
IMG_2594.jpg

Phantomfixer

Here is a mid 80's silk scarf the misses bought for me right after my first A-2 purchase, 1985 Willis & Gieger from Aviators World. You can mkae out the wings and prop in the pattern...
IMG_2595.jpg

unclegrumpy

I think the CBI scarf is more authentic looking, but still more a copy of a souvenir item that would have been sent home.

Lots of units in the CBI had different Chinese made versions with their insignia/squadron patch on them. You see similar Japanese made scarfs from the Korean War as well....which I think were actually flown with more than the WW II ones.

I agree with the previous post, it you are going with something from the ETO, a piece of parachute silk or a plain white silk scarf is the most authentic.

As an FYI, there are nice original WW II era scarfs out there that were sold as souvenirs on US Air Bases that look like that 8th AAF one, but with the AAF winged star in it's place. Those are nice quality, and show up for $35 to $75.

Of the ones on eBay, for originality and something a pilot might have actually worn, I like these two better:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/b1214-WW-2-US ... 500wt_1180

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/b1217-WW-2-US ... 500wt_1180

As an example, here is a link to one of the original WW II era scarfs I mentioned:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/US-AAF-WW2-ARMY ... 51a21c51c2

Peter Graham

I picked this up a number of years ago. I can't really call it a scarf as it's square. More like a small table cloth !

scarf005.jpg

scarf001.jpg

scarf003.jpg

scarf002.jpg

CBI

some cool things here. I guess the concern is.................is nyone actually considering wearing a silk scarf with their A-2 or G-1? Unless its for reenacting, legit open cockpit flying, or for a display: Might as well wear a Star Trek uniform to work or the movies. You know what I mean - kinda in fun of course.............. :lol:

FlyingYankee

I think the scarf is a very nice addition to cold weather A2 wear. The collar on A2 goes with a scarf very well. I'm now on a mission to get a white para chute scarf. Anyone got one?

bombs away

Hello,

Here is a nice scarf from the 12th Air Force. Bought for a smallish price on ebay to someone who didn't know what it was.
It has a pattern number but I don't know much about it ?
7394629610_dbcce1e4fe_b_d.jpg

7394633128_2c9e759eca_c_d.jpg

A few wartime pics of this scarf :
Worn by men of the 802nd Air Evacuation Squadron (note added collar fur on left A-2):
6290721899_87671d503c_b_d.jpg

Same scarf worn by pilots from the 350th FG :
7394631110_5f66cd2c48_b_d.jpg

7394630526_fe31b86603_b_d.jpg

Cheers,
Tim

stanier

CBI said:
some cool things here. I guess the concern is.................is nyone actually considering wearing a silk scarf with their A-2 or G-1? Unless its for reenacting, legit open cockpit flying, or for a display: Might as well wear a Star Trek uniform to work or the movies. You know what I mean - kinda in fun of course.............. :lol:

When I get one I'll be wearing mine for re-enacting and 40's dances etc. Also great with an A-2 or B-10 in vintage cars, especially hot rods!

Don't worry where you wear stuff, if you like it wear it!

I work in London and I often see folk wearing stuff stranger than a Star Trek uniform, but hey if they're happy so what?

TankBuster

Tim,

Great stuff! Thanks for sharing! I have to admit to never seeing that style scarf before. You found some great photos of it in use!