• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Showing Eastman Some Love

mulceber

I got into replica wartime jackets a bit over 2 decades ago.This is just me so with that caveat in place but I have found that over that 20 something years, ultimate accuracy means far less to me than it did a few years back. Yes I want something to be close to an original jacket but now being an absolute facsimile to the original isn't of absolute concern to me anymore. Firstly because all repros are just that. They are repros and will never be the same as an original. Secondly, I'm not a WWII RAF, USAAF, or USN airmen, so if the jacket isn't 100% accurate, that's not really a problem.

I wear these things as a love to the men who flew and fought. If a collar is slightly misshaped compared to an original, stitching slightly out of whack compared to the original, pockets not quite right, then so be it. I couldn't give a shit anymore but I was never an absolute perfection Nazi.

If you want ultimate accuracy in a repro get a GW. At the same time all repros are repros and even a GW is just that.

There's room for everyone in this silly, old hobby. I'm one of those, who now couldn't give a shit about ultimate accuracy with a repro because it's an endless and fruitless pursuit - you want ultimate accuracy, buy an original.

I'm personally happy now with repros which are a great evocation of the original because at the end of the day a repro will always be a copy and never the same as an original.

That's just me though.
Well said, Tim.

Micawber

All this has been very nice, but I'm of course in complete disagreement about this company- except of course the customer service part which in my limited experience was excellent. Too many flaws in all their contracts for me to get past; way too pricey; and always the same Eastman characteristics: sleeve ends way too tight, pockets too high and collars that just don't sit right.
View attachment 115151

View attachment 115153
View attachment 115155

With respect - but to be blunt…

There goes the showing Eastman some love as per the title of this thread, so now we are likely to go down the usual well worn paths. Gets a bit old TBH.

Last edited:

B-Man2

I got into replica wartime jackets a bit over 2 decades ago.This is just me so with that caveat in place but I have found that over that 20 something years, ultimate accuracy means far less to me than it did a few years back. Yes I want something to be close to an original jacket but now being an absolute facsimile to the original isn't of absolute concern to me anymore. Firstly because all repros are just that. They are repros and will never be the same as an original. Secondly, I'm not a WWII RAF, USAAF, or USN airmen, so if the jacket isn't 100% accurate, that's not really a problem.

I wear these things as a love to the men who flew and fought. If a collar is slightly misshaped compared to an original, stitching slightly out of whack compared to the original, pockets not quite right, then so be it. I couldn't give a shit anymore but I was never an absolute perfection Nazi.

If you want ultimate accuracy in a repro get a GW. At the same time all repros are repros and even a GW is just that.

There's room for everyone in this silly, old hobby. I'm one of those, who now couldn't give a shit about ultimate accuracy with a repro because it's an endless and fruitless pursuit - you want ultimate accuracy, buy an original.

I'm personally happy now with repros which are a great evocation of the original because at the end of the day a repro will always be a copy and never the same as an original.

That's just me though.
Tim
Great post !
It makes some points that might sound familiar.

Rule # 5. Regardless of how we as collectors view these jackets, most people can’t tell the difference between one A2 from another, so remember that, when deciding if you need the $1200 repro or the $500. one.

Rule # 11. Regardless of how we view these jackets i.e. “GWs are the greatest, ELCs are the bomb, Aeros are the coolest” etc, etc, etc, . Remember that they are really just articles of used clothing , nothing more.

Peter242

I´ve bought 2-3 Years ago a used an eastman B-6 Jacket. Stil abolutly happy with this one.
And the one i don´t own - i would also like their A-1.
BC38E07C-47C4-44AC-8B49-1F1B5A89ED59.JPG
IMG_2819.jpg

IMG_2691.jpg

ZuZu

Not quite correct as you have shown your somewhat more measured side since your return but you do tend to be a tad repetitive at times.
I'll stay away from the "I love Eastman" threads if it really bothers people so much. But I still think that on a forum dedicated to discussion of vintage leather jackets and their repros criticism should be welcomed. I admit criticizing the subject of a "love" thread was kind of rude. I apologize.

One of the major reasons there ARE good repros today is because assholes like me and others who were more diplomatic goaded companies to be more accurate in the early oughts. If we had blandly accepted whatever fare was offered we'd still have smooth bespoke leather and weird innaccurate patterns.

I hope all you Eastman owners aren't offended by my Daffy Duck quacks complaining about high pockets! Sorry!

mulceber

I'll stay away from the "I love Eastman" threads if it really bothers people so much. But I still think that on a forum dedicated to discussion of vintage leather jackets and their repros criticism should be welcomed.
It is welcome. In fact, if you read the opening line of post #1, I acknowledged your criticisms and posted a link to a list of your helpful threads on Eastman. "Criticism welcome" doesn't mean it has to be welcome at every time and place.

ZuZu

It is welcome. In fact, if you read the opening line of post #1, I acknowledged your criticisms and posted a link to a list of your helpful threads on Eastman. "Criticism welcome" doesn't mean it has to be welcome at every time and place.
"Belabored grumpiness"! My Dad would be proud! I'll be honest and admit I didn't read post#1 carefully enough reactionary as I am.

Smithy

It's been mentioned here but really needs highlighting if we're going to sing ELC's praises, but their customer service is some of the best you'll come across.

When I was considering ordering my Irvin, I must have hit Gary up with a couple of dozen emails with photos of what I wanted fit-wise, clarifications, other questions, etc, etc.

He answered every single question within a day and with the patience of a saint and always without a hint of frustration at being pestered.

Here comes the big confession...

I'm going to come out here now and say that in the past I've been a bit tough on ELC in criticising their pricing. In fact quite a few times I've had a go at them about it.

My attitude has changed now though. They have built a very successful business and marketed it brilliantly. They also still make their goods by hand in the UK which can't be cheap when you think of labour and material costs. That's something I think I've forgotten. They also have a right to sell their goods for what they think they can and they obviously can at these prices.

I think we have to realise that the days of buying a top shelf, handmade jacket from the UK and US for a song have gone now. It's silly to hanker after what we paid in the 90s and 00s because times have changed and I think for some of us who were buying these kinds of jackets back in those days it's been a difficult adjustment in perception to make.

So with that said and if Gary or any of the ELC gang happen to read this down the line, sorry from this member for giving you boys a hard time.

Kermit3D

It's been mentioned here but really needs highlighting if we're going to sing ELC's praises, but their customer service is some of the best you'll come across.

When I was considering ordering my Irvin, I must have hit Gary up with a couple of dozen emails with photos of what I wanted fit-wise, clarifications, other questions, etc, etc.

He answered every single question within a day and with the patience of a saint and always without a hint of frustration at being pestered.

Here comes the big confession...

I'm going to come out here now and say that in the past I've been a bit tough on ELC in criticising their pricing. In fact quite a few times I've had a go at them about it.

My attitude has changed now though. They have built a very successful business and marketed it brilliantly. They also still make their goods by hand in the UK which can't be cheap when you think of labour and material costs. That's something I think I've forgotten. They also have a right to sell their goods for what they think they can and they obviously can at these prices.

I think we have to realise that the days of buying a top shelf, handmade jacket from the UK and US for a song have gone now. It's silly to hanker after what we paid in the 90s and 00s because times have changed and I think for some of us who were buying these kinds of jackets back in those days it's been a difficult adjustment in perception to make.

So with that said and if Gary or any of the ELC gang happen to read this down the line, sorry from this member for giving you boys a hard time.
These are interesting thoughts.

Obscurator

When I get the chance to try on their B10 , then if it is a fit then I will wear it , aye, with love. It looks braw .
I considered one from ELC, but eventually plumped for the BR version with red knits. My problem with any jackets, or indeed anything that's not underclothing, is that I wear it or them whatever I'm doing, without regard to dirt, wear etc. Not a problem with most leather, but a big worry with cloth jackets, as cleaning them is neither easy nor cheap.
That may explain my now "tramp (hobo) grade" Chinese Bronson B-10s hanging on the clothes hooks for outdoor wear.

Smithy

These are interesting thoughts.

I hope so Kermit but they're just my thoughts.

My attitude to ELC and what they charge has changed over the last year or so.

Now I think it's justified based on their business model, where they are made, the fact they're handmade and with excellent quality control, their wait time is probably the best of all top shelf WWII repro flying jacket makers, and they have brilliant customer service.

If people have a problem affording buying an ELC jacket then you have 3 options:

1) Don't buy one. Buy something else
2) Buy secondhand
3) Save up your pennies and buy one new from ELC.

Kermit3D

I hope so Kermit but they're just my thoughts.

My attitude to ELC and what they charge has changed over the last year or so.

Now I think it's justified based on their business model, where they are made, the fact they're handmade and with excellent quality control, their wait time is probably the best of all top shelf WWII repro flying jacket makers, and they have brilliant customer service.

If people have a problem affording buying an ELC jacket then you have 3 options:

1) Don't buy one. Buy something else
2) Buy secondhand
3) Save up your pennies and buy one new from ELC.
I was a bit harsh on ELC too, but that was mostly about a few historically inaccurate statements they made (in all conscience). But your message resonates with me because I feel a bit the same as you, that I've been a bit unfair. ELC made me dream for years, and I still have a special affection for this brand.
I wouldn't want them to stray into purely luxury-oriented products in the future. But as I've said before, I don't think they're there yet.

And above all, high-quality customer service REALLY deserves to be highlighted.