• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should you put acrylic on flaking sheepskin?

Spitfireace

There's no rips, tears, or holes in the shell of this jacket. All the seams are solid. That's what I was going for. Finish is mainly good. Interior looks like new.

Spitfireace

It has been treated with a lanolin based paste. There is only one area that was actually flaking so far. That was on one cuff which I treated with a light as possible bit of acrylic spray. Has stopped the flaking, and sealed it. I would hesitate to that on any other areas though especially painting it on or anything like that as it would be too thick and therefore it would crack. Which is the last thing you would want.View attachment 99669
I thought maybe I'd try some shoe polish. It doesn't necessarily stick though. Fills some stuff but doesn't stick the bare finish removed parts.

Dumpster D

Paint is for barns, fences and Bob Ross. Shoe polish is for shoes.

The color will not match. Plus, shoe polish and leather dressing make a mess when mixed.

caddyd

I apply brown liquid leather dye with a paint brush. It soaks right in and blends well on all leather, especially shearling.

Micawber

Depends what you want to do. Stuff is only original once, as stated light wash with a good colour matched dye will blend the light under flesh but won't prevent future flaking. Been there and done that with numerous jackets over many years.
Count your lucky stars it's not a B-3 with flaking... and rot ;)

Spitfireace

Original Aero Steve.

1678652155671.jpeg

flyincowboy

Try some fiebings dye and use their resolene finish to seal the coloured pieces. You can mix different shades of brown till you get the right colour it will soak in the shearling leather... Then when dry a touch of resolene which is water reppelent. Leather color is avaliable in small bottle (118ml) and do not forget to feed your leather with a good cream . but not too much.

Spitfireace

Try some fiebings dye and use their resolene finish to seal the coloured pieces. You can mix different shades of brown till you get the right colour it will soak in the shearling leather then when dry a touch of resolene which is water reppelent. Leather color is avaliable in small bottle 118ml
Fiebings Resolene. OK.

Micawber

Yep, as I said about 3 pages back Resolene is good stuff, further to that it will be easier to source than other makes of acrylic sealants.
That said things only have an original finish once...