• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Seeking "ID" help this emblem .......

EMBLEMHUNTER

Here's an emblem I was asked to ID and it's one I've never seen before, was told possibly linked to Dover AAFLD,Delaware Ww2, possibly a P-47 RTU/School type , if you know what unit this is Please post , Much Thanks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
12936745_789512324513009_4045945735942793178_n.jpg

unclegrumpy

I have the ID somewhere...but not easily at hand...but believe it is a P-47 unit....an ETO squadron and not a school. Will see if I can find that.

unclegrumpy

I have this as the 410th FS, 373rd FG.

However, in looking online, they seem to have had another design as well. This ID comes from a similar patch that came out of a 9th AAF pilot's album...it had his name and the units written on the back of it...likely by him.

EMBLEMHUNTER

Thanks Much Unclegrumpy, would you possibly have an image please of yours that you could post?????? This is the 410th Fighter Squadron that I know of
410th Fighter Squadron.jpg

unclegrumpy

It is exactly the patch you first posted....painted on leather in a very similar fashion. I saw this chenille patch online you posted as well, which is why I mentioned the two designs.

All I can say is it came out of a P-47 pilot's album, and has the guy's name and 410th FS, 373rd FG written on the back of it. That is not always a perfect ID, but is a good indicator. I have a few pictures of the guy as well, but neither he nor any of the other pilots have any patches on their A-2s.

One thing to also consider, is these chenille patches are almost always US made, and sometimes the units changed designs once overseas. Hand painted on leather patches can be from anywhere. I would not be surprised to find that there is more to this mystery...so I will be waiting for more information too.

EMBLEMHUNTER

O.K. Much thanks "UG" I will go with your info for now as to it being the 410th FS, I agree it's most likely an "overseas/in combat" era one as the Chenille types were US made and I'm thinking it was the stateside version ..............................

If I get anything else on it I'll also post here , all the best !!!!!