• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Seal Brown??

bellumbill

Hello all! I am curious, of the WWII contract A2s was there are particular maker that is known or seen to have made jackets more than others in the darker seal brown color? Of did all makers produce jackets in seal brown at times?

I am looking to purchase another reproduction A2 and would like a seal brown leather but don't want to purchase a contract jacket that perhaps never made a seal brown HH version.

Thank you all!
Best,
Bill K.

mulceber

Thing to remember, as has been pointed out elsewhere, the seal/russet distinction is kind of a myth. A-2 jackets were meant to be a medium brown. In practice, that meant a whole range of shades, but the dark brown we think of as seal was pretty uncommon, outside of depot re-dyed jackets. Most of the originals that are deemed "seal" were a milk chocolate brown.

Last edited:

bellumbill

Thing to remember, as has been pointed out elsewhere, the seal/russet distinction is kind of a myth. A-2 jackets were meant to be a medium brown. In practice, that meant a whole range of shades, but the dark brown we think of as seal was pretty uncommon, outside of depot re-dyed jackets. Most of the originals that are deemed "seal" were a milk chocolate brown.
That’s kinda where I was going with the question ~ the almost black jackets we see some reproducers make are not really correct. Thx all

Dany McDonald

Well my original Aero 21996 acquired through Victor (he can confirm) was most probably dark and close to seal let say... From what's left of the original coating it looks darker than mid-brown for sure.

Dany McDonald

From John Chapman.

If you can believe it, that color format was done by one of the Aero-used tanneries, not by a re-dye. I think most larger contracts were serviced by 3-5 tanneries, and with Aero, there was one that liked to have a shiny reddish russet color with a dark brown applied over it. That's how Aero would have received the leather, and one could only tell the reddish base once the jacket had been worn enough to make the seal color wear. Very interesting, and I've not seen any other tannery at that time do this.

Wz1999

Dubow 1755
IMG_1694.jpeg

mulceber

From John Chapman.

If you can believe it, that color format was done by one of the Aero-used tanneries, not by a re-dye. I think most larger contracts were serviced by 3-5 tanneries, and with Aero, there was one that liked to have a shiny reddish russet color with a dark brown applied over it. That's how Aero would have received the leather, and one could only tell the reddish base once the jacket had been worn enough to make the seal color wear. Very interesting, and I've not seen any other tannery at that time do this.
Yeah, they're pretty distinctive-looking jackets once they've had a little wear. Practically an identifying feature for Aero.

WingAndaPrayer

Hello all! I am curious, of the WWII contract A2s was there are particular maker that is known or seen to have made jackets more than others in the darker seal brown color? Of did all makers produce jackets in seal brown at times?

I am looking to purchase another reproduction A2 and would like a seal brown leather but don't want to purchase a contract jacket that perhaps never made a seal brown HH version.

Thank you all!
Best,
Bill K.
The SMW has a pretty good mid brown that blurs the line between dark russet/light seal. If you’re looking for one under $500, I really liked mine.
C8184605-8B79-4245-9717-B70A3F9AD192.jpeg

ZuZu

most, but not all star a-2s were in a darker [seal] brown. a-2s that were sent to aaf depots to be refurbished later than 1942 were re colored in seal brown.
most, but not all star a-2s were in a darker [seal] brown. a-2s that were sent to aaf depots to be refurbished later than 1942 were re colored in seal brown.
I've found the opposite to be true in most of the score or so Stars I've handled. They are often what we call russet. A poopy brown color. If they were dark they were redyed. (ones I've handled) The dark seal Star is one of the VLJ Great Legends that I think began when Eastman decided to make their Star dark seal. I think there might have been seal Stars but they are far from common. Often photos on the internet are big fat liars. The following photos are of 2 Stars- same jackets- different colors:

Photo 1- Star jacket looks dark seal:

Vtg-Original-1940s-WWII-STAR-Sportswear-Leather-A-2-_57 - Copy.jpg

Photo 2- the real color:
Vtg-Original-1940s-WWII-STAR-Sportswear-Leather-A-2-_57aa.jpg

Another

Photo 1- Star jacket looks seal:

staa4.jpg

Photo 2- the real color:

staa9.jpg

mulceber

To be fair to Eastman (and Vic), the Star that appears in Gary's A-2 guide is a darker seal like what Vic's talking about (or at least appears so in the photograph). And it's definitely not a re-dye because the stitching is its original color. I can't say I've seen another like that one though.

ZuZu

Here are random Stars from the internet- they are all poopy brown:

6945C1C9-8A64-4D44-949D-5F703E740EBC.jpg

Vintage-40s-WWII-STAR-Sportswear-Leather-A-2-Army-_58.jpg

Vintage-40s-WWII-STAR-Sportswear-Leather-A-2-Army-_588.jpg

The only unambiguously seal Star I could find not a redye was on John's CD. And here again- the photos may be liars. The 46 "seal" RW27752 on this CD was one of my old jackets. It looks dark on the CD but it's actually russet. Here's that seal Star from the CD:

pocket.jpg

epaulette.jpg

Attachments

• collar.jpg
    collar.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 53

ZuZu

The A-2s which were purposely made seal are those weird small-sized late "43 Broncos, Dubows, no name Perrys etc. often starting with "17.." in the contract number.

mulceber

The A-2s which were purposely made seal are those weird late "43 early "44 Broncos, Dubows, no name Perrys etc. often starting with "17.." in the contract number.
And that's around the time that they're ordering the A-2s they've already got to be re-dyed.