• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Scratch repair??

Pete17

G'day all, my fairly new ELC 1401 has been attacked by our damn cat. The result is a few shallow scratches. Anyone got a cure for this?
I have tried using Connolly Hide Care on it hoping it would slightly darken the jacket and scratch marks but it has made no difference.
I'm about to try and get some Pecard treatment and see if that does the trick.

The damage is pretty minor but boy am I peeved!

Any advice would be greatly appreciared as always.

Cheers
Pete

rikitiki

The cure is to get rid of the cat. My second advice is to skin the cat to repair the jacket.

Seriously though, try Pecard's "Fashion Brown Waterproof Dressing" to cover shallow scratches. It's the same formula as Pecard's Classic/Antique except for russet brown coloring added into the mix. If Pecard's is insufficient to cover the scratches, use shoe cream - they come in many shades of brown and the color dye is more intense and penetrating.

I feel your pain. My roommate's cat ruined my Gibson and Barnes, chocolate brown, lambskin A-2 jacket. The cat tore through the right shoulder area and I had to get rid of it...the jacket, not the cat.

Pete17

Let's just say that from now on the cat has a very strong inclination to get out of my way whenever it see's me.

Yep, I saw that Pecard's brown leather treatment - looks like it should do the job. Just need to find a dealer who''ll ship downunder.

Thanks!

Tim P

one of my cats couldnt tell the ditfference between shearling and kitty litter. I think i would have preferrred scratches...

Andrew

Years ago a ferral cat got under the tonneu cover of my MG when it was parked under the house and discovered that I had thick fluffy sheepskin seatcovers. I discovered the mess in the morning- he must have thought he was making a kill as he'd completely shredded both seats- the car was full of fleece particulate. It was amazing how the volume of material had increased from when it was attached to the skin to when it became free from it's skin- the car was full to the brim of bloody fluff.

My fault really as i'd felt sorry for the little bugger being homeless and had befriended him- until that moment.

Pecards- Send an email to Geoff at "Oldnautibits". That's where I got mine from. Tell him I sent you.
http://www.oldnautibits.com/

T-Bolt

I am not sure how deep the scrathes are that you are speaking of......but if they are not too deep you may want to try Meltonian Leather Creme. It comes in many shades of brown and if you can't find just the right color, you can blend a small amount of two colors to get a custom color. You may have to apply several light coatings.....don't try to put on too much at one time. Lightly buff the area with a soft cotton cloth after the creme drys.

I have had pretty good luck covering up scratches and wear spots, like down the edge of the windflap on A-2s.

Ted

Pete17

Thanks to everyone for the info and tips.
I've got some Pecards gear on it's way from the States.

better duck

In my case it was a thorny bush that made the first scratches on my then brand new ELC RW 1401. Arghh! that hurt. I left them as they were: the first battle wounds of a jacket that has gathered a lot more scuffs, scratches, rubbing, bending since; it had hot water poured over it (by me) cold water (by many a rainshower) and is generally taking on the appearance of a leather jacket that is being used for what it is meant for: wearing the hell out of it.

Just leave the scratches, keep on wearing your jacket and in a couple of months time you won't notice them any more (although when asked, you can still tell the tail (pun intended) :D

Pete17

Well, I got the gear from Pecard yesterday and applied it last night.
This stuff is magic!
I put a little bit of the brown tinted treatment over the scratches and rubbed it in. They all but disappeared. Then I applied the classic treatment to the whole jacket. She came up glowing and nice and supple.
I'd highly recommend Pecard's to anyone - a great product!

shanghai joe

Pete17 said:
This stuff is magic!
I put a little bit of the brown tinted treatment over the scratches and rubbed it in. They all but disappeared. Then I applied the classic treatment to the whole jacket. She came up glowing and nice and supple.

eeeeeeeeeer a pecard convert??? :D

Who

Pete17 said:
This stuff is magic!

Hi there,

I'm in Melbourne too. how much to get teh Pecards sent over? I want to do it but don't want to be ripped off. I have Lexol at home at the moment....

Andrew

Who said:
Pete17 said:
This stuff is magic!

Hi there,

I'm in Melbourne too. how much to get teh Pecards sent over? I want to do it but don't want to be ripped off. I have Lexol at home at the moment....

Hi Who- by the way, are you on first........?

I bought my tub from Geoff Pringle at Oldnautibits http://www.oldnautibits.com/#

Email him at [email protected]

I don't remember the price but it was fine. He's a great bloke- tell him Andrew sent you, he will look after you.

chrgod2

This Pecard stuff sounds like something I have to try out on my tired G-1 jacket. :)

I have treated it with mink oil, which also turned out very well, but there are still some scratches which could need further treatment.

By the way, does anybody know how to best preserve an original mouton collar? The collar on mine is still in good shape, but I am afraid that it will start to shed if I wear the jacket regulary.. I guess Pecard cant be used to soften the base of the collar?

hacker

chrgod2 said:
This Pecard stuff sounds like something I have to try out on my tired G-1 jacket. :)

I have treated it with mink oil, which also turned out very well, but there are still some scratches which could need further treatment.

By the way, does anybody know how to best preserve an original mouton collar? The collar on mine is still in good shape, but I am afraid that it will start to shed if I wear the jacket regulary.. I guess Pecard cant be used to soften the base of the collar?

Mouton is a hit or miss. If the base is already brittle I don't believe there's anything that can be done. And if you wear it when it's that way, no doubt the hair will start to shed. On the other hand I have jackets from the 40's where the mouton is as flexible as new. It will wear on the edges over time, no way to stop that but unless you wear it every day I would think it will last a very long time. I would just try to keep it clean as dirt will start to degrade it.

Hacker

Pete17

Hi all, I'm back on deck after some time OS.

Who, I sent the guys at pecards an email which i got from their web site.
Shipping was peanuts. The tubs are small but go a long way - should last me for years.

An update on the Pecards on the ELC RW 1401.
Still looks great. No side affects whatsoever.