• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schott Bros E Series G-1s

G-1USMC_USCG_USN

Saw a very nice Schott Bros G-1, circa 1998, on eBay. Was just wondering what the "collective" thought of the newer Schott jackets? I have read one post that said that he was considering one as a "beater." Are they really that bad, or does it depend. The 1998 E series is definitely a cowhide jacket, but it does appear to have some "character." Would appreciate your thoughts. Thanks.

Cheers,
Mike

Jason

The general thought is that the E series G-1s are the least desirable of the lot, and I think that has a lot to do with the embossed cowhide and generally lower standard of construction. As always, there's exceptions to the rule - some (most?) Cooper G-1s are goatskin and are actually pretty good, for example. I have an Imperial Leather E series cowhide G-1 and it's a really comfortable and durable jacket - but it still can't quite compare to the Irvin B Foster G-1s that I have - real mouton collar with a lovely rich colour, really nice goatskin, and some real character, rather than the tendency towards feeling like a mass produced product of the E series lot.

Having said all that, the price for the G-1 in that ebay auction is pretty optimistic. You can do much better than that for the price - that sort of money buys a very nice condition C or D series, or third of that figure buys a reasonable E series. A bit of patience and you should be able to find some very good buys.

STEVE S.

I agree, don't pay that kind of money for an "E" series. I recently picked up a size 46 "E" series made in the 70's for $25 on ebay & its just as nice as that $500 one.

a2jacketpatches

Last one of those I bought for 20 bucks and sold for 200- so 500- is out of sight. I recommend the Cooper as well, real or fake mouton is available and soft leather make it a comfortable jacket. If 6' or taller, make sure its a tall.