• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Roughout boots

J.R.303

Uk based, so a decent pair of Goodyear Welt army roughout boots from the US are going to be expensive to import.
My question is are any of the UK available ones Goodyear welted, they all look like Chinese ones to me.
Does anyone have size UK 9 they want to sell?

Smithy

Last edited:

J.R.303

OK, thanks for that. I have heard that the soles wear out quickly and then they are cost prohibitive to replace.
How do you feel about this?

Smithy

OK, thanks for that. I have heard that the soles wear out quickly and then they are cost prohibitive to replace.

Mine haven't worn faster than any other pair of boots I own. I've worn them a lot, especially the Service Shoes and they show virtually no wear on the soles.

I personally think this was maybe something with earlier versions or is just complete nonsense.

Sabo

the sizes are regular, I suggest you use a gel insole inside. great shoes
IMG_20220131_153652.jpg

Chandler

Most good reproduction U.S. military boots are made with the Goodyear Welt -- just about the easiest construction to allow sole replacement.

As to being cost-prohibitive, it's usually still less expensive to replace the soles than the whole boot -- factor in break-in work and the comfort that provides, and you are probably saving yourself.

Last edited:

J.R.303

Just walked them round the block. When do they stop squeaking and creaking?
I guess it's because the smooth side is on the inside, i've put some decent insoles in them because they're fairly roomy, no good for a narrow foot.

ButteMT61

I've got a pair of Red Wing "muleskinners" which have a roughout hide and a cap toe. AMAZING boots! I mean, I can do anything in them and they clean up with little effort and look great after 5+ years of use. I'm about to see if I can get them resoled, and would recommend them to anyone!

I realize they're not true service boots, but they are close enough in style and excellent boots.

Smithy

Just walked them round the block. When do they stop squeaking and creaking?
I guess it's because the smooth side is on the inside, i've put some decent insoles in them because they're fairly roomy, no good for a narrow foot.

Dubbin them with Sno-Seal or any type of traditional dubbin, that will help and of course wearing.

Did you go for the Mil-Tec Sturm ones from SoF? If you did I hope you'll come to like them as much as I do mine.

J.R.303

Dubbin them with Sno-Seal or any type of traditional dubbin, that will help and of course wearing.

Did you go for the Mil-Tec Sturm ones from SoF? If you did I hope you'll come to like them as much as I do mine.
I did yes thanks.

Grant

Not that I need another reason to like wearing Red Wing boots, but recently received my trusty old 8113 rough out Iron Rangers back from the Red Wing factory repair shop with new soles and heels. I always preferred the old Nitrile cork soles, so requested they use them. Good for another ten years!

boots1.jpg
Boots3.jpg
Boots4.jpg