• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"ROUGH WEAR: Is a registered trademark of Eastman Leather Clothing Ltd."

2BM2K

??

Rough Wear is the name of the original company. I have not noticed it being trade marked before.

Presumably any such trade-mark registration will be made to cover variations on the name.

John Lever

2BM2K said:
http://www.eastmanleather.com/type-rough-wear-contract-27752-p-167.html

Just been browsing the Eastman website and noticed that they are stating Rough Wear is a registered trademark of Eastman Leather Clothing Ltd.

This could lead to other companies registering the remaining jacket names in order to protect their business imteterests.

I think they did this at least ten years ago possibly right from when they stared making the first RW B3

a2jacketpatches

Tricky business, just went back and forth with a guy concerning the AVG insignia. The FTA (Flying Tigers Association) claims ownership of it and the emblems of the three Squadrons on the home page of their web site but it doesn't go into detail. They simply ask that you ask permission to use it. I looked up the trademark and there's a bunch of lines that generalize the tiger with script with a picture that looks like letterhead but could find nothing on the Squadrons and Disney is not mentioned. It's as if they used the John Wayne movie text and Disney artwork combined and registered as their trademark. To me it seems as if they're sending out very limited information hoping artists will just assume they own everything. Another reason being is I just found out from a mod there that I was banned as quick as I joined and only posted once. Pretty sure it was some photos of my FT patches and a simple mission statement along with an offer of my services. Banned? without a word? Back then I probably thought it was just a bug in the system or I was making a mistake logging in. The hassle had me never looking back. But the recent heads up from the mod with no communication from the association that they were disturbed leads me to believe that variations play a big part in the whole thing.

I could probably trademark "Phlying Tigers" by noon today for $99.00

shedonwanna

I signed a license agreement many years ago to paint the AVG and three squadron logos. The license only covered the leather patches. I had met Tex Hill at a local gun show and I would trade with him for autographs. I had no problem sharing a percentage of the sales with the Flying Tigers association and the contract was written by Chuck Older. I don't think their trademark extends beyond the AVG logo and three squadrons. Even though the 14th AF likes to call themselves the "flying tigers" that design is open to reproduction.

a2jacketpatches

From what I'm told, T.H. didn't care one way or the other if artists were painting them. And the trade mark registration had no squadrons and a search revealed nothing. The registered trademark was for an arrangement of the tiger with Movie stylized Chinese script. I'd love to see the paperwork on this as the logo was public domain at one point. In any event, there's many, many variations of the same logo and squadrons and they couldn't possibly own them all.

shedonwanna

Here is the most recent trademark registration from May 15, 2014. This may cover just about any design and logo that is related to the AVG. I'm not sure how copyright fits in but any variation of their designs and logo may need permission or license to reproduce. An individual could probably sell panda patches all day without a problem as long as the patches are not linked to the AVG or someone else's trademark/copyright. But then, i'm not a lawyer and don't even play one on TV. Has the FTA reacted to your eBay business? Just curious - I never mass produced anything to sell; only painted custom work.

Flying Tigers Trademark Registration

shedonwanna

here is a screen shot or you can search number 86282379 to get a better view. upon further inspection this appears to be an appeal which was either denied or terminated. as time permits i may look into it more or just call the lawyer appealing the request.

a2jacketpatches

Very interesting, with all of the REAL Tigers gone, I wonder who would have any right to claim ownership at this point. I'd have no problem paying a fee if it was going to the right place but I'm not paying anyone just because they say so. There's more than one organization out there representing the FT's and using the logo, some seem genuinely interested and are very active in preserving the history online and physically, others seem to feel they are just entitled by blood or something. IMO, regardless of their military status at the time, tax payers funded the AVG and all should be public domain.

I haven't been bothered by anyone, just a busy body now and again. And as stated, The FTA just banned me without a word when I openly approached them and let them know what I was doing.

TOMG1401

Several Forums and a lifetime ago, before most members here now remember, Eastman had problems when they used the Aero Leather Clothing label for what I believe was their first original makers jacket, it was an excellent repro. They wound up changing the label to Eastman Leather Clothing. John couldn't use Aero when he first started Goodwear, correct?

Steve27752

TOMG1401 said:
Several Forums and a lifetime ago, before most members here now remember, Eastman had problems when they used the Aero Leather Clothing label for what I believe was their first original makers jacket, it was an excellent repro. They wound up changing the label to Eastman Leather Clothing. John couldn't use Aero when he first started Goodwear, correct?

Yes, you are correct.

DiamondDave

TOMG1401 said:

Sort of....actually that was John being a stand up guy, and Aero asking for favors from him, that lead to the name usage.

Funny enough Eastman did have trouble in this arena, but if you go into the database of registered names in the US, you will find that "transatlantic trading" doesn't actually own the name Aero Leather Clo. Co. Here in the States, or indeed through the Madrid protocol (International trade-marking) in any country other than Scotland. As a point of fact (verify if you want) the last person who owned that name, and has first right of refusal for any new application, is one Gary Eastman of Ivybridge, UK.

A funny world we live in when you can get paid for the use of a name, you don't even own, huh?

So, to sum up, I think it is quite noble of both John and Gary to do the "right thing" when it comes to that name, and not use it even though it really is fair game, and though accepted by our small community as owned, the law really doesn't support such a claim.

DD

TOMG1401

The original tale was Gary was legally forced by Transatlantic to remove the name. I remember when John very first began there were a couple of brand names he was not using right away

DiamondDave

MikeyB-17 said:
Yeah I still have my Golden Book with the ELC Aero in it. John called his 'Arco' for a while.

"Arco" is the name adopted by Bill Kelso actually, JC and I still use the ACME name in our jackets.

DD

DiamondDave

TOMG1401 said:
The original tale was Gary was legally forced by Transatlantic to remove the name. I remember when John very first began there were a couple of brand names he was not using right away

True, to a point. The name is owned in the UK, but that is all. It really is fair game in the rest of the world.

MikeyB-17

DiamondDave said:
MikeyB-17 said:
Yeah I still have my Golden Book with the ELC Aero in it. John called his 'Arco' for a while.

"Arco" is the name adopted by Bill Kelso actually, JC and I still use the ACME name in our jackets.

DD

Whoops, sorry, my mistake.