• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Roberto's Patches

shedonwanna

a2jacketpatches said:
Any luck at all with chit leather? I found several hides over the years that you could almost say is perfect, but never a consistent supply and usually no positive ID. Ebay has a natural finish goatskin in the pearl gray, almost white, just like the real deal. It would stain easily and end up smearing just like the real thing, but most feedback I got over the years from customers is that they want it to look as good later as it does today. So I just purchase thin finished white leather, age accordingly, and seal it in forever.

I find the occasional odd piece of white leather that will work but not a consistent source. Usually find a nice piece of white sheep and use glazed goat for the red and blue. I sometimes see large bulk offers from Pakistan and India but my wife would shoot me if that wound up in the garage! Overall, I spend a lot of time searching for the right pieces to make chits and pieced patches. So, the chits and pieced patches I offer are mostly special projects. I don't sew and use a local boot maker for my sewing needs.

FlyingYankee

ties70 said:
grommet said:
Wait, wait - don't tell me! :mrgreen:
It must mean that the patch is cut out (incised) and sewed on the jacket instead of being painted on directly.
Right?
Is that flag for sale?
Alan,

just in case that are not kidding us...

An incised patch means that the designs main lines are cut into the leather. It gives the design lots of structure...afterwards it gets painted. As this was a specialty of the MTO in WWII, Roberto has perfected this kind of technique

Some examples, not by Roberto but by me :) :

Incised_1.jpg

Incised_2.jpg

b-25_mto001.jpg

AFShield.jpg

489th_BS001.jpg

flag_48_stars_12th_AF_2.jpg

winged_bomb001.jpg

Best regards

Ties

grommet

ties70 said:
grommet said:
Wait, wait - don't tell me! :mrgreen:
It must mean that the patch is cut out (incised) and sewed on the jacket instead of being painted on directly.
Right?

Alan,

just in case that are not kidding us...

An incised patch means that the designs main lines are cut into the leather. It gives the design lots of structure...afterwards it gets painted. As this was a specialty of the MTO in WWII, Roberto has perfected this kind of technique

Some examples, not by Roberto but by me :) :

Incised_1.jpg

Incised_2.jpg

b-25_mto001.jpg

AFShield.jpg

489th_BS001.jpg

flag_48_stars_12th_AF_2.jpg

winged_bomb001.jpg

Best regards

Ties

Hi Ties,

I pondered the meaning of an "incised" patch all day until my "epiphany" which proved incorrect! Anyway, I appreciate your posting these examples of your fine work, especially the unfinished patch demonstrating the incisions.

Thanks,

Alan

shedonwanna

Here are four of Roberto's I own. The 527th FBS was my first made by Roberto when I shared an image of an original owned by a friend of mime who was a pilot with the 527th.
roberto_incised.jpg