• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Roberto's Patches

Jeff M

FlyingYankee said:
Would some of you show me photos of Roberto's patches?

I understand this reply is totally useless without photos...but I am a luddite and hate going through downloading photos onto my computer, going to a picture posting place, trying to remember my password, how to load photos there, then trying to remember ow to load pictures on the forum.

His web site shows his patches very well....any photos I would post would not show them any better or worse.

http://italianpatchmaker.it/works.html

Not the best photos, but if you look at the GW shown on the bottom of the page of this thread from over at the Fedora Lounge, you will see Roberto's incised leather version of the 9th AAF shoulder patch and a bit of his 508th FS patch;

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthre ... s!!/page76

I own about a half dozen of Roberto's patches.
They are fantastic.
Actually have a few more I am eyeing.

YoungMedic

Here ya go

Russet_HH_03.jpg

Jeff M

That's generally what Roberto does.
He also offers non-incised patches, has on occasion asked me which I would prefer.

(I have one of his 95th FS patches. The first one of his I purchased. It is incised. Great patch.)

tom james

Hi FlyingYankee, You can find some of Roberto's patches he did for me in Photobucket under Tom James or 404th Fighter Group. Roberto indeed does beautiful work. I also had him do a Group patch for me - unfortunately, my dog also liked it & decided to have a taste of it while my wife & I were at dinner. He is now redoing the patch in a larger size for the back of my dad's tribute jacket. The bullion wings were found a while back on Ebay. I have never seen them since, although I have seen lesser quality ones/very difficult to find period ones without the uniform. And YES, the nametag was done by Shedonwanna.

FlyingYankee

tom james said:
Hi FlyingYankee, You can find some of Roberto's patches he did for me in Photobucket under Tom James or 404th Fighter Group. Roberto indeed does beautiful work. I also had him do a Group patch for me - unfortunately, my dog also liked it & decided to have a taste of it while my wife & I were at dinner. He is now redoing the patch in a larger size for the back of my dad's tribute jacket. The bullion wings were found a while back on Ebay. I have never seen them since, although I have seen lesser quality ones/very difficult to find period ones without the uniform. And YES, the nametag was done by Shedonwanna.
Thanks, It was your jacket that inspired me to find out who did the patches. Roberto offered me some aged ones he has for sale. I opted to wait for a new set of 95th FS 15th AF and a fleag for my new Goodwear Dubow. Thanks again

grommet

Wait, wait - don't tell me! :mrgreen:
It must mean that the patch is cut out (incised) and sewed on the jacket instead of being painted on directly.
Right?

ties70

grommet said:
Wait, wait - don't tell me! :mrgreen:
It must mean that the patch is cut out (incised) and sewed on the jacket instead of being painted on directly.
Right?

Alan,

just in case that are not kidding us...

An incised patch means that the designs main lines are cut into the leather. It gives the design lots of structure...afterwards it gets painted. As this was a specialty of the MTO in WWII, Roberto has perfected this kind of technique

Some examples, not by Roberto but by me :) :

Incised_1.jpg

Incised_2.jpg

b-25_mto001.jpg

AFShield.jpg

489th_BS001.jpg

flag_48_stars_12th_AF_2.jpg

winged_bomb001.jpg

Best regards

Ties

a2jacketpatches

Great job, good to see some something here. Hat type of leather? I know veg tan is the most popular, easy to work with, and almost certainly used, but there was also a much softer type. It's a little squishy almost like chamois. Just wondering if anyone has gone that route yet.

shedonwanna

a2jacketpatches said:
Great job, good to see some something here. Hat type of leather? I know veg tan is the most popular, easy to work with, and almost certainly used, but there was also a much softer type. It's a little squishy almost like chamois. Just wondering if anyone has gone that route yet.

Veg tanned goat and sheep can be incised but does not hold up to other stamping/beveling tooling techniques. I believe most of the period incised work we see was goat.

a2jacketpatches

Yes, that sounds about right. Veg tanned goat and sheep is available but not as good for tooling as VT cowhide. I've seen incised done with several types of leather, but I'm shooting for a soft flexible goat or something as opposed to the stiffer VT stuff.

shedonwanna

a2jacketpatches said:
Yes, that sounds about right. Veg tanned goat and sheep is available but not as good for tooling as VT cowhide. I've seen incised done with several types of leather, but I'm shooting for a soft flexible goat or something as opposed to the stiffer VT stuff.
Shop around. Veg tanned can be soft/flexible. The firmness/stiffness can set in if the leather is reprocessed along the way. Often a chrome process will be re-tanned as veg and marketed as veg tanned and is usually more stiff. For years I've been trying to locate sources for the white hides used for the chits.

a2jacketpatches

Any luck at all with chit leather? I found several hides over the years that you could almost say is perfect, but never a consistent supply and usually no positive ID. Ebay has a natural finish goatskin in the pearl gray, almost white, just like the real deal. It would stain easily and end up smearing just like the real thing, but most feedback I got over the years from customers is that they want it to look as good later as it does today. So I just purchase thin finished white leather, age accordingly, and seal it in forever.