• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Review: HBT A-3 Cap Reproduction from WWII Impressions

deand

Just received this HBT A-3 Cap reproduction from http://www.wwiiimpressions.com/aircorp.html and wanted to give a brief review of it. I have owned a genuine A-3 cap, too large to wear satisfactorily so I sent it to a new home, and have owned a Spearhead repro, and one other that had no maker indicated, which was just too small so it too was moved along. Right off the bat I can say that the $35 price for this cap plus shipping was money well spent. The weight of HBT, the herringbone pattern, color shade, and and construction details are, on the whole, spot on. The feel of the cap is definitely vintage. The genuine cap I owned, and the picture at the WWII Impressions website, present 14 rows of stitching in the visor, yet my cap has 12, not a major divergence, and the original had its stitching row closest to where the visor meets the body of the cap a bit closer leaving almost no half moon shape of HBT at the center back of the visor. In comparison, the Spearhead repro is a sorry attempt which you can see and read about in this thread http://www.vintageleatherjackets.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9376&hilit=comprehensive+cap. The AAF stamp looks printed, but I suppose an ink stamp more faithful to the often smeared, or incomplete, or distorted kind would not be acceptable to the consumer. I wouldn't mind, but that's me. Size and maker tag is absent from the cap, with size stamped inside, and "WWII Impressions" stamped behind the sweatband.All sewing and finishing is precise. The cap is a joy to own and will serve as a great companion to the jackets I own, or simply by itself. I believe that this cap is a real bargain for the money and one I will enjoy for years. Way to go WWII Impressions! :)

mms_picture4-1.jpg

mms_picture3-1.jpg

mms_picture-10.jpg

mms_picture2-2.jpg

mms_picture1-1.jpg

dean

mindful

ive been looking for one of theses i was going to buy a real mccoys version which looked really nice but this one looks just as good for the price and yes the do compliment the jackets ;)

stanier

Is there a review of the MASH and Real McCoy (& any other hogh end repros) caps anywhere? I'd like an A-3 and am interested in finding the most accurate repro.

handworn

Thanks for the tip-off! I'm gonna order one before they stop makin' 'em in 7 3/4 or 8, like most of these places seem eventually to do.

handworn

Just by the way, deand, I see yours is a 7 1/2. How many inches around does your head measure? It says to expect some shrinkage with washing; I just want to be sure mine fits afterwards, so I'm trying to get a sense of their sizing. Thanks!

deand

handworn said:
Just by the way, deand, I see yours is a 7 1/2. How many inches around does your head measure? It says to expect some shrinkage with washing; I just want to be sure mine fits afterwards, so I'm trying to get a sense of their sizing. Thanks!

Juan recommended getting the 7 1/2 for my 7 3/8 head, and he was right, all I did was get the cap totally soaked and then run in the dryer at high til dry. It shrunk nicely and fit well. Then, while wearing it, I wetted down the six panels to flatten out most of the wrinkles from the tumble dry, without undoing the shrink down. If you shrink it too much, get it wet again around the sweatband and put it on to stretch it back out to fit. Same thing could be done with the 7 1/4 for 7 1/8, of course.

dean

Steve H

I got one of these too and am well happy with it- I am a 7 1/4 and ordered a 7 3/8 thinking it might shrink a bit but it is very minimal- just order your normal size and wear it. No mucking around required- as Dean said- just stretch it out after washing.

Steve