• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Repros vs originals, prices ?

STEVE S.

i've got a Willis & Geiger wartime production jacket (not one of the newer W&G's) that has some horrible stitching. stitch length varies from 1/16" -1/4", which reveals someone was pushing & pulling the material while sewing. back then they were a utility tool that served a purpose & this one has held together for over 70 yrs, so was successful in what they were attempting to do at the time. times change & so do tastes, wants & needs.

a2jacketpatches

Is this one you wear Steve? As in most cases with me, the older an item is it become more fragile, less suited for it's intended purpose, in need of repair, in need of occasional special treatment, and in some cases grumpier :lol: But seriously, I still maintain that repros vs. originals are two completely different things and that goes from guns to jackets, to the 12 lbs of marbles I picked up last week. At 70 years old an A2 should be treated as a collectible, a repro is a jacket to be worn. 70 years from now, maybe one of JC's or Daves will be considered collectible because of such limited #s being made as opposed to mass produced Coopers or Mil issued jackets, but they're more likely to get the best of care+ and the latter just tossed around over the years if kept at all.

STEVE S.

I only have a handful that are classified as "display only", my original shearlings, one A2 , & a patched AN-J-3A (its a size 38, or I would wear it). Everything else gets worn. I only buy/keep things that are in my size & wearable except for an occasional "fixer upper" that needs a few repairs to be put back in service, but thats how I fund my collection. The only reproductions I have are the ones I make myself. As much as I would love to have one of JC's or Dave's jackets, my budget just won't allow it right now. My problem is if I have say $700-$800 disposable sitting around, I see too many opportunities to do things to double it, vs. spending it on one item. Thats how I fund my gun collection, when I find AR stuff on sale cheap, I buy enough to put 2-3 together. When they are completed, I can usually sell 2 of them for enough to keep the third one at little to no cost. Later on, I'll flip those & pick up that really nice Colt 1911 or Luger.

a2jacketpatches

Now there's a man after my own heart. Most of us can't even think about comparing the price of originals to repros, kind of a luxury Id say. Guess it only really matters if you can spend that kind of money. Otherwise, like you, I have a wide range of interest and knowledge allowing me to dabble in just about everything at a minimal cost. A 40- box full of resin cast movie prop laser guns last week brought in a 700- return. That would buy a decent repro or original FLIGHT JACKET, to stay on topic.