• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Repro Corcoran jump boots advice needed

Peter Graham

I'm considering buying a pair of repro WW2 Corcoran jump boots. I know there are a few firms out there making them. Does anyone have any advice on who to buy them from as regards quality, value and accuracy. Cheers.

watchmanjimg

Peter, I have 2 pairs of Corcoran's own re-edition in brown and they've never been out of the box other than to try on. In my opinion they're far superior to those offered by ATF at the very least. Let me know what size you need as I may be able to help.

kevlarg

Hey Peter,

I have both the repro Corcorans and the ATF boots. The corcorans are much heartier boots for sure but the finish is very shiny and plastic looking and they take a significant amount of time to break in. The ATF boots look really nice and the leather is soft (too soft really) right out of the box. My ATF boots squeeked for a long time which was annoying and the lace eyelets can come out (this isn't hard to fix but again its annoying). There isn't much price difference between the two so you can't gauge it on that. That being said if your feet aren't terribly huge (read smaller than a US 9) than you could score a pair of originals for not much more. If you feet are 9 or above good luck unless you want to part with mucho dinero!

Kevin

jack31916

Go for the ones made by Corcoran. Far better boot, shape and fit. Once broken in, these are real fine boots and will last for a long time. Most other repros are just repros and IMO not made by an "original" shoe manufacturer and therefore of inferior quality.

dujardin

helloooooo Peter

it depend of the purpose of your buy.
for display on a manniquin or to walk with.
because i think that for a normal use, walking or working; the combat boots of the Netherland army are far better than repro of today.
this is a link to discover what she looks

http://cgi.befr.ebay.be/bottes-de-saut- ... 19c183e31c

maybe Peter (vanuit Holland) can give you better details and explanations on those shoes; well knowed by reanactors of Belgium and Netherland.

i bough a pair of 3/4 in Ciney, today i regret my buy, i just walk in the city of Namur to visit the Christmas market, we stay there for 2 hours.
result .... wet foot, the sole is not well done and water may enter the shoes. now i have to use shoe shine because they are white. the leather used to make my repro is not a good one. WESTROOPER is the manufacturer of my repro. they are cheap but that's all.

byeeeeeeee marcel

Peter Graham

Many thanks guys. Great advice. Genuine Corcorans it is then. I take a US 8 and black originals are easy to come by but the WW2 ones are thin on the ground so I'll look for the re-issues. Marcel, these boots will definately be for everyday wear. I have a pair of the very same Dutch army boots you mention. They are fantastic boots. So good in fact that I've nearly worn them out, hence the need to replace them. I'm off to Amsterdam tomorrow for a long weekend so maybe I'll come back with a new pair !

Tim P

Enjoy Amsterdam. there is a surplus store on the pedestrian street running parallel to Damrak where you might score some boots.
Corcoran reissues are hellish coated with plastic rubbish but this can be stripped. other than that they re good solid boots.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
jack31916 said:
Go for the ones made by Corcoran. Far better boot, shape and fit. Once broken in, these are real fine boots and will last for a long time. Most other repros are just repros and IMO not made by an "original" shoe manufacturer and therefore of inferior quality.

Well kinda ... at least they're still made in USA.

• Corcoran Boots was once privately owned and had facilities in Massachusetts, USA. The company was well-known for making military combat and jump boots used in World War II and thereafter. The Corcoran Shoe Company was purchased by the Acme Boot Company of Clarksville, Tennessee at some point in its history. In 1992, the Acme Boot Company sold Corcoran to Cove Shoe Company of Martinsburg, Pennsylvania. Cove Shoe is a division of H.H. Brown Company. Cove Shoe Company is a manufacturer of private label and branded footwear.

a2 fng

The opinion with very anal stitch counting Reenactors is that the ATF boots are the best money can buy(as are apparently most other ATF repro bits)-their main reason over the repro branded Corcs is better finish on the ATFs and on the branded Corcs they have a nasty white plasticy type layer to the sole that no matter what you do-polish,paint etc you just cannot hide.

Personally as im no reenactor i have 2 pairs or Brown repro WW2 Corcs and 2 pairs original Black WW2 types-hate the newer ones with speedlacing,fancy treads etc :D :D :D

Also whatever please please do not waste your money on the cheaper unbranded jump boots that a lot of sellers sell-you will have nothing but hassle with them :twisted: :twisted:

Tim P

I have to say that that awful whitewall look on repro corcorans added to the plastic coating make them way less than authentic and the ATF boots have none of that.

a2 fng

Tim P said:
I have to say that that awful whitewall look on repro corcorans added to the plastic coating make them way less than authentic and the ATF boots have none of that.

Being as i only wear mine and as stated not a reenactor both these issues are purely cosmetic-the plasticy finish doesnt take polish that well and that whitewalled finish is just bizarre!!!!!

Again,from a reenacting point of view some people strip the original finish with Nitromors(i wouldnt want to chance this myself incase it attacked the stitching) and then re finish the boots and they do look better but a lot of work i guess.

I do have a pair of ex Band Of Brothers Corcs that have been stripped and refinished and must say they do look nice :D :D