• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Red Horse Squadron / VN in country made patches

a2jacketpatches

Here's a couple of VN made patches. Notice the irregular details and use of blue satin instead of embroidery. I watched as some expert sifted through a VN vet pile and commented "new crap" when he found these and tossed them aside. I'm finding quite a bit of 50's and 60's stuff out here in the desert and the good thing is it blends in nicely with all of the 80's and 90's green nylon, subdued patches, etc. For instance, a 200- VN rucksack and a 20- 80's rucksack are nearly identical except for the drawstring locking device. And the marking codes are different as well. These two patches were nicely camoflaged from the expert :D within a bunch of subdued patches from Nellis.

a2jacketpatches

Correction, not VN made, but probably into the 80's while the unit was in Korea. Still asian made out of the ordinary patches. And the other facts remail, that most general pickers can't tell VN gear from modern stuff.

a2jacketpatches

Very cool, looks like the series 66 singers I use, same thing I'll bet.

I was told on another forum that the USAF didn't use subdued patches in VN. The Red Horse Squadron was very active there but also spent a short time in Thailand and then an extended stay in Korea. Off the bat I just assumed these were VN made, but now I'll be sure to research a units post VN activity before making a call like this. Hand guided embroidery was done all over Asia.