• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"Re-issue" A-2 coating??

What can I use to coat an Avirex goatskin A-2 that I have in order to get a similar effect as what ELC is doing for their 'Escape' A-2? I don't expect a perfect result, obviously, which is why I'm using a $100 Avirex rather than a great jacket. I'm just quite curious about trying one, and don't really know what I can go buy to brush onto it to produce the glossy, dark, and ultimately flaky (and flake-0ff) lacquer. Will wood lacquer crucify the leather?

Ideas? Thanks guys!

FYI, I am having the lame little thin Avirex epaulettes replaced as we speak by my local chinaman/tailor-god, and then I want to lacquer it. Then I'll put on the AAF decal and go to work on additional bling such as name tag, nose art, etc. I will post photos throughout the process. Make no mistake, I know it will NEVER look like an ELC one, but its just a little pet-project.

dmar836

I don't think you want flaking lacquer for an A-2 of any make - just not what they did. That might work for a fleece jacket but...
I would suggest Eco-Flo from Tandy leather. Water based but a very nice dye that can be swabbed on. Their light brown gives more of a seal color if I remember correctly. I have never looked at an Avirex jacket so I'm not even sure what it can take. If it is that soft, Tom Cruise, 80s stuff I'd do some darker Eco-Flo then coat with leather conditioner/sealant.
JMO,
Dave

Silver Surfer

feibers leather oil based dye is what i use. it comes in water base, and oil base. they have several browns from russet to dark seal. the water based dye can be thinned with water, and the oil based requires their thinner. out of the bottle, the dyes cover thoroughly. they also make a product called bagcote for after dye application. the feibers line is professional quality. you can their products online or greedbay.

dmar836

Feibers is a good choice too. I use their dyes for oil based jobs.
But remember, we haven't even seen what kind of leather you are talking about so your results may be different.
I'd be hesitant to just dive in without more research.
JMO,
Dave

Me thinks I'll use a tiny little dab in the armpit where it'll never show if its an epic fail. Then go from there. Dmar836 is probably right on the flaky; I hadn't thought about that, but the A-2's should just wear down the over-finish and fade the top dye layer.

robrinay

Eco Flo can rub off onto light clothing or bleed when wet (in the rain), even after thorough drying so you will need to consider using a Feibings finish to prevent this as Silver Surfer and others suggest - such as Bag Kote or Leather Finish.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts