• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

RAF Goggles or...?

flyboy

Gents, just got these goggles. Always wanted a pair of the so-called MKII pilot goggles. But are they RAF?
The color of "the knitting" is white/grey - the frames are sort of grey metal and the leather bit is also grey. There are no markings on the glass - but a AM with crown and the number: 22? (could be 8)426 on the cloth strap - which is not elastic. The other part of the strap is elastic. (still)

What are they?

Close up of the marking:

Andrew

As you probably know Soren there wasn't any official designation MkII goggle, but the one you're thinking about had a leather and wire sprung headband (the same as the MkIII and IV) and were generally more substantial. I used to have a civvie version. There's pics in Prodgers book. I've seen many versions of these, I have a pair of Stokes made RAAF ones still in their paper wrapper and they are quite similar, but this design is usually referred to as Tanker goggles and were probably used by motor transport guys. Sorry to say I'm sceptical about the AM stamp as well, I've not seen that particular stamp on a canvas strap before, well actually I have because years ago there were faked up stamped pretend mkII's floating around the collecting world. I foolishly bought one.
There is still a chance yours were used for flying though.

flyboy

I have just seen pictures in a book of named WWI goggles - exactly like mine. Or as far as I could judge, with the straps in shambles.
But the knitting was grey/white and the leather was grey,
When did the RAF start to use the AM stamp?

Andrew

No idea. Normally the post is immediate. Have you been a member long Soren or just joined? I can only think that it may have somethIng to do with length of time of membership but that seems pretty pointless.

flyboy

I have been a member for three to four years. Although not posting much - but that shouldn't be a problem.
Maybe they want to check the different posts before they post'em.
The newest post - which popped up today (29th) - was written 24th of October. So I guess that's the case.
Time will show.

philip.ed

If it doesn't show that you are a 'forum member', rather than a (mere) 'member', your post needs validation before it can be submitted.

Just wait and Chris will approve it.

I personally do not think these are RAF. They are civvy goggles with a fake stamp.

flyboy

philip.ed said:
If it doesn't show that you are a 'forum member', rather than a (mere) 'member', your post needs validation before it can be submitted.

Just wait and Chris will approve it.

I personally do not think these are RAF. They are civvy goggles with a fake stamp.

Thanks, Ben - finally the post's up - but without pictures. Not much help then. Thought I should use Photobucket. But no such luck.
Do you happen to know how to post pics over there?

Civvy goggles with fake stamp? It has crossed my mind too. :(

Andrew

Soren I think from memory I just use post the "img" link from photobucket as I do here when I post pics and it works fine (despite having img at the front and back of each pic).

If you have a public album of pics you could always cut and paste the URL, or send me the URL and I'll try to past the images.

Edit, just went to the link and got the img code and it seems to work.

You've probably done just this but If u want me to have a go over there let me know.

flyboy

Thanks, Andrew. Problem has been solved by others. Nice people over there too! But the verdict was not nice. ;)

philip.ed

Soren, Stephen Silburn once (i mean once) had NOS mk 2 goggles straps. You could try and replace the strap and turn these into a good look-a-like.
They're a nice pair of goggles. I haven't seen many civvy ones which look as nice as these.

jack31916

Soren / Ben: I don't think these are civvy goggles but genuine WW 2 army issue for motorcyclists / despatch riders / mechanised troops / armoured personel etc.

I do believe that the original Mk.II goggles are made with brown leather and do have a (brown) leather strap as can be seen in one of the links from Andrew. These are rare, hard to find and expensive.

Rubber AM stamps can be purchased from Ebay thus making it easy to stamp up almost everything.

Regards from Jack