• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question about wind flap placement in M-422(A) Jackets

helodrvr

I am wondering why the windflap in both John Chapmans M-422 and Ties Mr-22A are slightly displaced upward from the bottom hem line, even with the zipper leather and the waist band? That design seems to have changed as the later jackets came into service, such as the AN-6552 and AN-J-3. Anyone hazzard a guess? I think it is an interesting distinction of some of the earlier jackets but don't have a clue why unless the early zippers were just easier to mate without a chunk of leather behind them.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
helodrvr said:
I am wondering why the windflap in both John Chapmans M-422 and Ties Mr-22A are slightly displaced upward from the bottom hem line, even with the zipper leather and the waist band? That design seems to have changed as the later jackets came into service, such as the AN-6552 and AN-J-3 ....

The differences were more between makers ... the Fried Ostermann pattern has the wind flap sewn in separately.

asiamiles

helodrvr said:
don't have a clue why unless the early zippers were just easier to mate without a chunk of leather behind them.
I think you answered your own question there.