• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question about wartime A-2 patch use and placement

jollygreenslugg

G'day folks,

I'm looking at painting and patching my new Bill Kelso A-2. I've painted up five jackets so far, and would like this one to be authentic to the point that it'll incorporate work for which there are known WW2 examples.

My main query relates to shoulder insignia. How prevalent was the use of cloth AAF patches? I've seen a number of originals which had painted leather patches, and the late-war decals seem to be fairly common, but was the use of cloth patches (as seen on uniforms) widespread?

If so, would it be correct to have the Hap Arnold AAF insignia on one shoulder and the particular AF patch on the other?

I'm looking at an 8th AF bomb group/squadron example. I'm also tossing up the idea of a 5th AF artwork as seen in and around Australia in 1943.

So many choices, I'd like to get the patch usage correct.

Cheers,
Matt

unclegrumpy

jollygreenslugg said:
My main query relates to shoulder insignia. How prevalent was the use of cloth AAF patches? I've seen a number of originals which had painted leather patches, and the late-war decals seem to be fairly common, but was the use of cloth patches (as seen on uniforms) widespread?
While I have seen and owned jackets with the standard US made cloth shoulder patches on them, I do not think it was widespread. In fact, I don't think it was that common. Most of the jackets we see today with standard cloth patches on them were patched up by veterans long after the war.

The main reason for this is shoulder patches were not officially authorized for wear on flight jackets. Name strips and Squadron/Group patches were, as well as the decals later on. That is not to say that in some theaters shoulder patches were not commonly worn on jackets, the CBI being the best example. However, your observations are accurate in that they typically were leather or theatre made using bullion or silk. You sometimes see US made patches on CBI jackets too, but it is rare compared to theatre made versions.

That said, I think if you go 8th AAF, most jackets had no shoulder patches, and the ones that did most often had them painted on or used a British made bullion or wool patch framed in leather. About the same goes for the 5th AAF, though I have seen more Australian made wool patches used, though without the leather framing.

Personally, I would cross using a US made patch off your list. Patched jackets can sometimes be harder to feel comfortable wearing, but you have a top of the line jacket and have clearly done your homework. Most jackets did not have any shoulder patches at all, so one can easily be left off. If you decide you want a shoulder patch, get one of the guys to paint one for you or get a high quality reproduction of a theatre made one. Maintaining a higher degree of accuracy will look a lot better, and you will be much happier.

Good luck!

capt71

Below are 3 photos (cropped) showing a couple of shoulder patches on a B-24 crew in early 1943. The first two show AAF shoulder patches on the A-2s of three of the men. Can't tell if they are cloth or leather, but they are definitely not decals. The third shows a 5th AF cloth shoulder patch on the uniform.

7747813530_a767fb897a_b.jpg

7747817130_34d2c94cd3_b.jpg

7747819728_e13a8b5673_b.jpg

a2jacketpatches

Photos #1 and #2 appear to be embroidered patches, and just because it was a quick look in my Art of the flight jacket book, I found at least 6 fully embroidered, bullion on cloth, or embroidered felt SSI on leather jackets. Almost all jackets have shoulder patches in one form or another. CBI's are multi-piece leather, Mediterranean are incised, ETO a lot are painted directly, as it usually goes, and whether authorized or not shoulder patches in general were very wide spread during the war on leather. As far as cloth embroidered on leather jackets, I'd say you're pretty safe putting them on, after all it was probably the easiest and quickest way to get the job done. Certainly not the only way, but I can't really come up with a logical reason to rule them out in any way for any reason aside from personal preference.

jollygreenslugg

Thank you very much, folks. You've given me plenty to work with, so I'll have to really sit down and consider my options.

I'll be sure to report back as I progress.

Cheers,
Matt