• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question about the age of the Wright Field patch

mulceber

Hey, I have a Five Star A-1 I'd like to patch up and I'm trying to decide on a patch. I really like the Wright Field patch as worn by Jimmy Doolittle on his A-2 jacket, but I don't know if that design was around back when A-1s were the latest and greatest thing. So I thought I'd put the question to the VLJ brain trust. Was this patch around circa the late '20s/early 30's? Have you seen any period photos of A-1 jackets with this patch? Thanks!

wrightfldlthrjktptchewwiiobv.jpg

Spitfireace

So did you decide to put this patch on the A-1? Since the A-2 was just entering service in 1931 as the Goldsmith (not really being made in numbers until 1932), putting it on an A-1 could have happened.

Spitfireace

Ya that would be a specialized patch. Smaller than the standard WW2 five inch. Tough to tell if it's painted on the jacket. Exact colors also hard to tell in black and white.

mulceber

Who are you thinking about for making the patch ?

Well I was thinking Ties, but I don't know if he'd be interested. We'll see.

Exact colors also hard to tell in black and white.
From what I've been able to gather, the 95th's logo came in two color combinations: the yellow or beige donkey/mule on a light blue background, and red on a medium green background. Just looking at how light the background looks in the photo, I'm guessing his jacket is the former.
In this photo a chap in the second row is wearing an A1 jacket and the Wright patch is
just visible, I don't have a date for the photo;

View attachment 85024
Damn good find, @2BM2K ! :D Well, I guess that proves that there were A-1s with the Wright Arrow. Also a good photo of a B-1 or B-2 that still has its chest pocket.

Chandler

In this photo a chap in the second row is wearing an A1 jacket and the Wright patch is
just visible, I don't have a date for the photo;

View attachment 85024
Any background on this photo? Great character shots of an era.

The gentleman in the second row, third from the left, has some sort of patch in the same shape as the Wright arrow.