• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question about GW A1 and SAT A2 jackets.

ADC

I understand that GW make exacting contract replica jackets. However the GW A1 and SAT A2 are not based on any particular contract but GW's informed interpretation of what they shoud be like from what I have read. Why is it so? Are originals extremely rare or non existant for sampling?

dmar836

Your assumption is correct. IIRC, even the few A-1 examples that are considered original are subject to question. You also have to remember that there were many more "private purchase" jackets in early aviation than any issued to individuals by the military. Air Service and Navy pilots were a much rarer breed than civi pilots.
Even early aviation tech was not really led by the military as it is today.
Dave

bseal

IIRC, JC has handled a Mirabelli Bros. A-1. Perhaps his design incorporates this experience.

Dr H

Agree with the above.

Gary Eastman has originals of both a Gordon and Ferguson A-1 and a depot re-dyed SAT in his personal collection (both illustrated in the A-2 handbook).

Atticus

ADC said:
I understand that GW make exacting contract replica jackets. However the GW A1 and SAT A2 are not based on any particular contract but GW's informed interpretation of what they shoud be like from what I have read. Why is it so? Are originals extremely rare or non existant for sampling?
I think I'm correct that I bought my A-1 from John not long after he began making them. When I ordered it, he told me exactly what's stated in the OP. A-1s are rare enough that it would probably be unwise to even wear an original, much less disassemble one for reverse engineering. So, Goodwear A-1s adhere closely to the design of jackets that are thought to be original. But they aren't exact copies of a specific A-1.

AF

Silver Surfer

as a true zen master, chappy has gotten to the point where he needs only to lay his hands upon a jacket, eyes closed and be able to extrapolate the information he needs to replicate it. the originals speak to him in a language that we mere mortals do not understand.

Rutger

Silver Surfer said:
as a true zen master, chappy has gotten to the point where he needs only to lay his hands upon a jacket, eyes closed and be able to extrapolate the information he needs to replicate it. the originals speak to him in a language that we mere mortals do not understand.

aka the Jacket Whisperer

foster

The original SAT should be horse, as that is what the government specified. Since it was the first A-2 contract, I doubt there were exceptions to that rule.

As to originals, they are indeed rare as it is estimated less than 500 were made. I have seen photos of only two originals, one in Gary Eastman's book, and the other in the Art of the Flight Jacket book.