• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

question about flying tigers patches!!

Erwin

Some genuine items from the past auctions:
ONSV8041__02_grande.jpg

ONSV22GPD344__09_grande.jpg

ONSV22GPD344__04_grande.jpg

H22318-L323690886_original.jpg

Last edited:

Chandler

Who has confirmed the authenticity of these items?

Back in the early 2000s there was an ebay seller hawking patches just like the Tiger patch in the first image -- along with squadron patches of a similar craftsmanship.

Of course they were sold as "genuine," but there was no proof -- and he sure seemed to have a big supply. ;)

Erwin

Some were sold by the IMA antique dealer, quite a reputable one. Agree that without having hard evidence it is not possible to authenticate historical items. Feel free Chandler to pinpoint fakes, we can all learn from it.

JonnyCrow

slight O/T. My neighbors dad served in the Chinese Nationalist AF, and apparently he had an M-422. I guess some of those guys wore em.
My step grandfather , I call him step but he got with my Irish gran so in my terms he was my grandad, in 1934 he joined the RAF he was ground crew, mechanic, when the war started he volunteered for aircrew,

Back in the early 2000s there was an ebay seller hawking patches just like the Tiger patch in the first image -- along with squadron patches of a similar craftsmanship.

Of course they were sold as "genuine," but there was no proof -- and he sure seemed to have a big supply. ;)
Chandler ive been burned with third reich stuff, but not as much as going and checking hands on, those kind of militaria are few and far between now, but 7 or 8 years ago i sent over 20k euro stuff to the USA, good stuff, i guess the stuff i have now i keep, are from people with good feedback, gotta trust somebody eh, i know where your coming from though

Chandler

Feel free Chandler to pinpoint fakes, we can all learn from it.
It's just not all that easy, but with AVG items you can make good assumptions based just on the number of members (pilots and support crew).

Add to that the images available that show, or don't show, the types of patches being advertised as "authentic," and you start to wonder.

JonnyCrow

8 years ago i sent two German ww1 canvas tail plane skins from downed aircraft found in France, now those were good finds

Spitfireace

Some were sold by the IMA antique dealer, quite a reputable one. Agree that without having hard evidence it is not possible to authenticate historical items. Feel free Chandler to pinpoint fakes, we can all learn from it.
Prefer no spider thanks.

Spitfireace

General rot jackets. I have one myself. It's a Monarch from 1941. Nice never gets out of the drawer jacket. It's all original exept for the patches which were removed when it was turned back into QM end of war.

Chandler

General rot jackets.
I'll give you the possibility of the jacket, but the other items? Just can't be sure. That Tiger patch looks just like the ones being sold on ebay.

BTW -- not sure what the "spider" is, but it's not showing on my phone access.