• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre M-422 jackets

oose

Hi all,
Came across this picture in book U.S. Naval Aviation, does anyone have any info or better picture of it. All the caption says is used in the 1930's by Lt Haley of 1st squdron 'High Hats'.

unkownjacket.jpg

Yours stu

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
I can't identify it ....

It's 1920's with the button front, and the 37J1 style high pockets give it a navy look.

Perhaps it's private purchase, it's the type of jacket that Air Associates, and the like would make.

Roughwear

Private purchase naval version of the A1 perhaps dating from late 20s early 30s?. Nice looking jacket BTW.

asiamiles

Basically an A-1 or 37J1 (leather version) with a mouton rather than knit collar...at least, that's what it looks like from the photo. But maybe not cape?

Okay, who's going to be the first to get it repro'd?

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
asiamiles said:
Basically an A-1 or 37J1 (leather version) with a mouton rather than knit collar...at least, that's what it looks like from the photo. But maybe not cape?

Yes, I think so .... a 37J1, as the pockets are identical, and it looks like horsehide. I'd certainly buy one.

After looking at a period photo of pilots wearing both versions, side by side, I've decided that I prefer the 37J1. I've gone off those wee A-1 pockets.

asiamiles

deeb7 said:
asiamiles said:

Yes, I think so .... a 37J1, as the pockets are identical, and it looks like horsehide. I'd certainly buy one.

After looking at a period photo of pilots wearing both versions, side by side, I've decided that I prefer the 37J1. I've gone off those wee A-1 pockets.

Were the USN leather 37J1's cape like the AAF A-1's, or might they have been horsehide?

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
asiamiles said:
Were the USN leather 37J1's cape like the AAF A-1's, or might they have been horsehide?

Chrome tanned sheepskin ... so they look floppy, like the A-1's. That jacket in the picture looks solid, more B-2 like.

asiamiles

deeb7 said:
Chrome tanned sheepskin ... so they look floppy, like the A-1's. That jacket in the picture looks solid, more B-2 like.
Yes, looks fairly heavy leather. And the mouton collar is quite large. Presumably the paint was retouched for display.

oose

Found an image the jacket is in the National Naval Aviation Museum and it has some interesting features... note two way weave waistband knit.(although it could a replacement)
Pics of all there jackets are there, go here and just type what you are looking for.
http://collections.naval.aviation.museum/Query.php

yes.jpg

yours stu

P.S. also found these shots of another pre-war jacket...SSGT W.G/ Golien received his wings as a naval aviation pilot in 1928.
webmediaphp2.jpg

webmediaphp3.jpg

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
oose said:
Found a image the jacket is in the National Naval Aviation Museum and it has some interesting features...

Thanks Stu, the top jacket is wonderful ... but still a mystery.

The lower jacket is a capeskin 37J1. The specifications didn't actually stipulate patch pockets, just their positioning, and a description of the buttoning flap ... so it could be interpreted either way.

Full Gear has a picture on page 113, entitled USN Officers of Flying Eagles Squadron in 1930. All wearing 37J1's, at least two of them showing this variation.

oose

Hi,
Don't think its a fake but it probably has been tarted up a bit, paint, waistband etc. It is in The National Naval Aviation Museum after all, it must have some provenance.

yours stu