• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Practicality of flight jackets in everyday life.

CombatWombat

I tend to like the G1 for ease of movement but the fur collar is too much for my climate.....the A2 is too impractical for everyday use (the pockets are useless unless you get 3-4sizes bigger than your shoulder)

My everyday jacket is a 60's-70's Bundespolizei "peacoat" because of the pocket space and the length (short enough to drive/commute in yet long enough to walk around on a cold day)

Pilot

I felt regret for didn’t grab one when I can.
This one?
IMG_0490.jpeg

Capt

I tend to like the G1 for ease of movement but the fur collar is too much for my climate.....the A2 is too impractical for everyday use (the pockets are useless unless you get 3-4sizes bigger than your shoulder)

My everyday jacket is a 60's-70's Bundespolizei "peacoat" because of the pocket space and the length (short enough to drive/commute in yet long enough to walk around on a cold day)
Totally agree with you on the G1 in every way and your A2 comments especially about the shoulders, they fit more like a suit does. I bet the average young men back then in WW2 had a slim build and lean and fit from training. G1’s suit me better anyway:)

CombatWombat

Totally agree with you on the G1 in every way and your A2 comments especially about the shoulders, they fit more like a suit does. I bet the average young men back then in WW2 had a slim build and lean and fit from training. G1’s suit me better anyway:)
A2's are great if you have slim to no biceps and a narrow neck......unfortunately I'm built like a dwarf/scrum half/quarter back :cool:
The G1 is more forgiving for my body shape though I like MC jackets and longer coats fir practicality

Skyhawk

The USN M-421 summer flight jacket. A great light weight spring / summer time jacket with enough pockets for all your gear. Outer pockets carry my keys and wallet, inner G-1 type pocket fits my med sized Android phone.

Practical / Light Weight / Cool Looking
IMG_20240412_185521779-Photoroom.png-Photoroom.png

CBI

I'm enjoying my At The Front First Pattern Fleece lined USN Deck Jacket. They added an internal pocket (totally inauthentic) but makes a huge difference. Fleece lining makes it lightweight to wear. will post pic at some point.

coolhandluke

The USN M-421 summer flight jacket. A great light weight spring / summer time jacket with enough pockets for all your gear. Outer pockets carry my keys and wallet, inner G-1 type pocket fits my med sized Android phone.

Practical / Light Weight / Cool Looking
View attachment 144997

Agreed Jay. It's the perfect piece for those times that it's just too warm for an A-2. Which is a lot of days in the southern parts of the U.S.

My Navy jackets are significantly more practical and comfortable than their AF counterparts. The M-421A is no exception. I think that a three jacket collection consisting of an N1, M-422A/ AN/ G1, and M-421A will pretty much have you covered for most seasonal weather and you won't miss out on much in the way of practicality.

Smithy

I mentioned it before on here but the flight jacket which I think is the most "practical" is the B-10, comfortable, warm, decent pockets. I like it better than the B-15 as I like the pockets better than the 15's slash ones.

With that said, do you live somewhere cold? Then a B-9 or B-11 is probably the most practical.

But really, I don't think we wear these things for ultimate practicality, we wear them because we love them, the history behind them and the men and women who wore them.

You want ultimate practicality then you'd wear a Barbour over a flight jacket any day of the week.

With that said I like wearing Barbours but wearing one doesn't give me half as much of a kick as wearing an A-2 or an Irvin. Wearing a flight jacket for guys and gals like us is as much an emotional thing as a utilitarian thing.

I'd also throw any Barbour or other "practical" jacket I have in the trash long before I threw out one of my flight jackets ;)

Smithy

Tim
When traveling to colder and wetter climates I’ve taken an A-2 and a Barbour with me and worn that jacket over top of the A-2. Sounds a bit daft but it works. Keeps the rain off you and is warm at the same time.

I posted here in the jacket wearing thread Burt that I was wearing an A-2 with a parka over the top back in January as I was suffering from A-2 withdrawal. I was surprised as it worked really well!

CombatWombat

I know of a 56 and a 58 ( German size ).
Guess the shipping via DHL courier might be an issue since highly priced if sending intercontinental.
I ended up with a 58 in a slightly different style and a 56 in this style.
Found them on a German "Gumtree/Craigslist" style site, the shipping wasn't cheap but definitely worth the money