• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Practicality of flight jackets in everyday life.

Enigma1938

First of all I'm not too over-cautious neither I always babying my jackets.
I don't want to explain why I love flight jackets because I'm sure you all know what makes them so attractive to us. But when It comes to all day practicality of my flight jackets there are a few little "issues" I have with each model except two types (I'll explain later).

A2's are nice and good but there are some compulsions about it when I'm about to wear them. First one is the collar or better said the lining of the collar. I always have to wear collared shirts underneath because the lining in that area tends to get dirty / greasy pretty fast (even if you keep yourself clean of course) what leads to damage sooner or later. To clean the lining is not an easy task without rubbing it through with time no matter how careful you are. This issue is even bigger if your A2 has a collar stand. You cannot always wear just a T-shirt underneath.
Next are the knits, especially the cuffs. You all know it's better to grab the sleeve by the leather instead of the knitted cuff when you turn off your jacket because the knit will become weak and torn over time.
So even it's a relatively durable jacket you have to pay attention to a few things to increase the lifespan of the jacket.

I love my french cyclist jacket or Hartmann or Luftwaffe flight jacket, but I always have to wear high waisted pants with it because of the original short cut of this kind of jacket. Also layering under the jacket is pretty limited.

Cloth flight jackets like my B10s for example are relatively sensitive for dirt and stains what is not always easy to remove.

I wear my Shearling jackets like my B3 or my Luftwaffe channel jackets too seldom to add them here in the "issues" list. That's because of the relatively mild winters here. So I cannot say what problems they will bring up if they are going to be worn all day.

My Reichs defence jacket is nice and robust too but here again you have to take care for the collar. It’s velvet like nature tends to wear off fast if worn daily.

The only two flight jackets I own who are able to go through nearly everything are my G1 and my nylon L2A. They are robust, have durable collars and so are their rayon liners. Because of the wider sleeves they have the knit cuffs are not going to be stressed that much when turning on and off the jackets. The goat leather on the G1 is extremely robust and forgiving, the thick nylon shell of the L2A is also like that. When it comes to the shape or measurements of both jackets so the G1 is a little ahead of the L2A because it has a bit more length so you can wear it with all kinds of pants in everyday life.

So when it comes to durability and practicality the winner for me is the G1. I can wear it in all conditions and with all clothing styles whitout thinking about it that much and without worries I could damage something.

I'm curious to hear what are your thoughts and issues with flight jackets in everyday life or what type you prefer at all.

Thank you

johnwayne

Always thought that as handsome a jacket a good A2 is, its pretty hopeless in many respects for daily use unless maybe you have a repro ELC with big inner pockets, (352nd FS?) and even if you stuffed those pockets you might look a little rotund! Agree, similar story with G1 and B10 albeit the inner pocket is quite handy and totally agree MA1 prob the most practical of all plus warmer too other than the B10 which is of course a winter jacket as denoted by its B prefix!
The A2, impractical or not, is still the coolest looking though IMO!!

CBI

Frankly ............ I rarely wear any flight jackets anymore. Main reason is too high waisted and IMO, I need to tuck my shirt in and wear a belt. I am usually in too big a hurry to run out to the store or whatever to do these simple steps! its been cold, definite jacket weather but I wear "regular" jackets, fleece, etc.

Also, as I get older, I can't help think they tend to look a little costume-ish ,,,,,,,,but yes, back to OP, they tend to be impractical outside of the cockpit.

I still love these jackets in period photos.

If folks enjoy wearing their flight jackets ............ that is awesome and why this forum is here.

all this said, when I DO wear a flight jacket, it tends to be my G-1 or 5-Star A-1

Rutger

I'd wear an MA-1 or L-2B usually.

I got a company jacket since two months. Loads of zippable practical pockets, extends about 6 inches below the belt so covers the lower back, has a collar that, when folded upward, actually keeps my neck and throat shielded from the wind. It's also water proof. It has deep hand warming pockets. It is not bulky at all, contrary to what the impression may be.

The MA-1 is decently practical for it's 4+1 pockets.
Most other nylon jackets are somewhat practical for their 2+1 pockets.
The A-2 is useless as far as practicality goes. The pockets can't hold anything beyond my passport.

Guess which jacket is my everyday jacket since two months.

B-Man2

First of all I'm not too over-cautious neither I always babying my jackets.
I don't want to explain why I love flight jackets because I'm sure you all know what makes them so attractive to us. But when It comes to all day practicality of my flight jackets there are a few little "issues" I have with each model except two types (I'll explain later).

A2's are nice and good but there are some compulsions about it when I'm about to wear them. First one is the collar or better said the lining of the collar. I always have to wear collared shirts underneath because the lining in that area tends to get dirty / greasy pretty fast (even if you keep yourself clean of course) what leads to damage sooner or later. To clean the lining is not an easy task without rubbing it through with time no matter how careful you are. This issue is even bigger if your A2 has a collar stand. You cannot always wear just a T-shirt underneath.
Next are the knits, especially the cuffs. You all know it's better to grab the sleeve by the leather instead of the knitted cuff when you turn off your jacket because the knit will become weak and torn over time.
So even it's a relatively durable jacket you have to pay attention to a few things to increase the lifespan of the jacket.

I love my french cyclist jacket or Hartmann or Luftwaffe flight jacket, but I always have to wear high waisted pants with it because of the original short cut of this kind of jacket. Also layering under the jacket is pretty limited.

Cloth flight jackets like my B10s for example are relatively sensitive for dirt and stains what is not always easy to remove.

I wear my Shearling jackets like my B3 or my Luftwaffe channel jackets too seldom to add them here in the "issues" list. That's because of the relatively mild winters here. So I cannot say what problems they will bring up if they are going to be worn all day.

My Reichs defence jacket is nice and robust too but here again you have to take care for the collar. It’s velvet like nature tends to wear off fast if worn daily.

The only two flight jackets I own who are able to go through nearly everything are my G1 and my nylon L2A. They are robust, have durable collars and so are their rayon liners. Because of the wider sleeves they have the knit cuffs are not going to be stressed that much when turning on and off the jackets. The goat leather on the G1 is extremely robust and forgiving, the thick nylon shell of the L2A is also like that. When it comes to the shape or measurements of both jackets so the G1 is a little ahead of the L2A because it has a bit more length so you can wear it with all kinds of pants in everyday life.

So when it comes to durability and practicality the winner for me is the G1. I can wear it in all conditions and with all clothing styles whitout thinking about it that much and without worries I could damage something.

I'm curious to hear what are your thoughts and issues with flight jackets in everyday life or what type you prefer at all.

Thank you
Interesting opinion and something that most responders so far are in agreement with. While I’ve never really given it much thought over the years ( like most, I was just caught up in the cool look of the jacket) I can definitely see that there’s a number of trade offs you have to accept , if you want to enjoy wearing flight jackets on a daily basis . The short waist, the reduced pocket space, the trim look that prohibits layering , all of which are to a degree, detractors from wearing the jackets as a daily wearer. So how is it then, with all of these negative factors, do we keep spending thousands of dollars on these jackets?:oops:. I mean I agree with everything that’s been said, so I have to ask myself that question . Certainly if you’re a member of this forum you probably don’t have just one jacket, but more likely you have 2 or 3 or in some cases 10 , or 15 jackets . So again, if these are just good time or part time jackets, why are we doing that? Spending all this hard earned cash on jackets that can’t possibly meet all of our daily requirements ? ( If you’re waiting for some brilliant thought provoking comment here , I’m embarrassed to say , I’ve got nothing:oops:) So the only thought I have on the subject is that we are willing to pay dearly for the” cool factor”. These jackets just look cool and we look cool when we wear them . Not just “yeh it’s cool” but I’m talking “ Steve MCQueen cool” So for all that coolness we are willing to pay big bucks and be inconvenienced to a degree.For what it’s worth, that’s my take on it all.
One last comment about the dirty grease or oil stained collars . Like all of you this used to bug the shit out of me as well. So here’s a little tip that has helped me reduce that problem . When you get a new jacket you can either spray the collar area with 3M scotch guard to protect the collar lining and make it easier to wipe the collar area of dirt or you can go the the store and pick up some “mole skin” ( I don’t know what it’s known as outside of the US) which has an adhesive backing and a soft part that goes next to your skin and line the collar with the stuff . It will keep the jackets collar from getting nasty . You’ll need to reline the collar once a month to keep the adhesive from degrading, but if you want to see the collar stay clean, it’s worth the effort . The 3M scotch guard spray may darken the collar liner just a bit, but it was going to darken any way, and now you can at least clean it off a bit . Ok that’s all of got.
Cheers

Cocker

I wear flight jackets every day. Never had issue with lack of pocket room. My A-2 (which is, I agree, the less practical although the one I find myself wearing most) fits my phone, my cigs and zippo, and my badges for work (the wallet and car keys go into my trousers or my bag) Never had any issue with knit cuffs coming loose after 5 and a half year neither. I agree that the collar lining gets dirty, though. But like the scuffs and scratches, it doesn't bother me as I consider it part ot he jacket's patina.

That being said, I always tuck in my shirt/t-shirts or even race sweaters, and most of the time I wear high waisted trousers.

Flightengineer

I'm not in the habit of carrying a lot of things with me. But even my A2's pockets I can hold my wallet and smartphone. Car keys in my pants pocket.
I live in a climate where summer is short, so you can wear flight jackets conditionally from the beginning of May to the end of September. Further it is usually cold because the jackets are short. Most of the jackets that are usually considered "winter jackets" here (B-15 for example) for me are jackets for mid-spring or mid-autumn. Or sometimes I wear it with tshirt a cold summer :). All this time I wear them, of course I have a lot of other "civilian" clothes, but I wear jackets often and with great pleasure.
I love flight jackets (otherwise I wouldn't be here) and have never been bothered by the dirt and scuffs jacket get from wearing. Dirt can be washed.
I think the key of comfort jacket - correct size.
If you "look cool" but you uncomfortable - sell it and buy it in which it is comfortable.

Enigma1938

...These jackets just look cool and we look cool when we wear them . Not just “yeh it’s cool” but I’m talking “ Steve MCQueen cool” So for all that coolness we are willing to pay big bucks and be inconvenienced to a degree...

Well I can only speak for myself: Yes flight jackets look cool and the guys who wore them in ww2, korea or Vietnam were the coolness itself. But for me besides the coolness factor these jackets have there's a deep interest in military history. Let's say this jackets are wearable history. I have a crush on history, military and in collecting military supplies since I can think. I admire those tough guys who fought in war no matter on which side or for what reason (except war criminals of course). Wearing historical flight jackets is a way for me to honor these guys and remind on the old glory days.
Flight jackets are the only general kind of clothing from wartime who are still accepted in the main public. I cannot go out with a german M36 field jacket or a Elite pea camouflaged tunic for example, even a leather overcoat or a british battledress would look odd today.

Brettafett

100% above...

A-2s and many of these flight jackets were designed in a different time, for a specific purpose and have evolved... I doubt many back then considered how they would age over lifetimes, and be regarded by future generations...

For me the A-2 is simply iconic. It represents to me all the things that made the greatest generation great.
I love wearing my A-2s, enough pockets on me for my wallet, keys and phone and that's all I need. All the A-2s I currently own fit beautifully and are easy wearers, even while driving.

I agree about the practicality and wearability of G-1s... They are very comfortable to wear, sure. That bi-swing back sells it right there, but I struggle in the summer months, where the mouton collar gets too warm for me. Some G-1s (mostly repros) are also heavy compared to A-2s and those buttons...
For the winter months... Love my B-10 (and Tanker), but the B-15 is a more practicable. Those hand warmer pockets are blessed, and those large inner pockets can carry a small dog on either side.

I have other jackets, not flight related... If Im hiking or outdoors, I'll wear outdoor tech stuff, I have some other casual-like denim and corduroy jackets for spring and summer evenings also.
But for me, nothing beats a good ol' A-2!

For me this interest and hobby started out with the 'cool' old leather fighter jackets and a love of aviation, especially WW2, but the more I read and learned about these men and those times, the more fascinated I became. These jackets took on a whole new meaning and found a whole new context for me. On some level wearing these jackets reflects my passion for the sky, adventure and wanderlust...
And aligns me with the virtues and character these guys possessed, so often lacking today... In some small way, memorialising them and their courage perhaps...

Enigma1938

For me this interest and hobby started out with the 'cool' old leather fighter jackets and a love of aviation, especially WW2, but the more I read and learned about these men and those times, the more fascinated I became. These jackets took on a whole new meaning and found a whole new context for me. On some level wearing these jackets reflects my passion for the sky, adventure and wanderlust...
And aligns me with the virtues and character these guys possessed, so often lacking today... In some small way, memorialising them and their courage perhaps...

1000% agree on this

Smithy

I started this thread a few years back which is pretty much along the lines of this...

https://www.vintageleatherjackets.org/threads/question-the-most-practical-flying-jacket.20979/

In short flying jackets are cool (well most of them are) but the practicality comes down to the individual jacket. Personally out of mine, my B-10s are probably the most practical, comfortable, warm, hard wearing and easy to use. Saying that all flying jackets are constrained by the fact that they were first and foremost designed to be used for flying and often that affects usefulness in certain areas, eg most are short which is great for sitting on your arse in an aircraft but bloody useless if standing around outside in sub zero temperatures with a howling gale to boot. So long as you realise what they're good for and what they're not, you can get a lot of use out of them.

Are they the most practical jackets/coats in the world? Of course not but most of them look bloody cool and they have all the cachet and romance of the eras when they were used and the men and women who used them.

Brettafett

Posted this in the Sportys thread, but though Id pop it in here.
Regarding practicality and wearability of A-2s particularly. This AVI LTHR 'Bronco' is still one of my go-to's... For an A-2, its soft seal goat is light, robust, developing amazing grain and character, its comfortable and 'gives' when manoeuvring around, lifting arms etc... If I was still able to climb into a little Cessna and wanted a light jacket, it'd be this...
AVI LTHR A2.jpg

Micawber

I love my flight jackets, before I was taken ill and was able to get out and about more I would wear them a lot and often did so in adverse conditions. I enjoy the connection with the past and practicality within their design constraints they offer but I don't wear them every day. There are times when a shirt, tie and business suit are called for and others when more practical workwear or protection from the elements are required.

Nickb123

Posted this in the Sportys thread, but though Id pop it in here.
Regarding practicality and wearability of A-2s particularly. This AVI LTHR 'Bronco' is still one of my go-to's... For an A-2, its soft seal goat is light, robust, developing amazing grain and character, its comfortable and 'gives' when manoeuvring around, lifting arms etc... If I was still able to climb into a little Cessna and wanted a light jacket, it'd be this...
View attachment 52474

dull-purple ̶k̶n̶i̶t̶s̶ shirt.