• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post war

Edward

Sad end of the warbirds

After World War II, tens of thousands of aircraft were disabled and intended to be merged into aluminum ingots. Large casting complexes were installed near newly disabled war bases and giant pickup points in the USA and other places. In New Zealand, most of the combat aircraft of the rnzaf campaign in the Pacific, including corsairs and kittyhawks, were returned to the foundry in rukuhia (Current Hamilton airport). This sad photo, registers the moment a grumman avenger is being melted on an air base north of Phoenix, Arizona. There are thousands of aluminum ingots scattered around the place and in the background numerous aircraft aquardando their ultimate end.
0145A4AF-2B86-46EA-9721-4EBB5BE25ABD.jpeg

Micawber

The photos of giant guillotine's chopping up airframes are one thing but that one is almost surreal.

But the massive surplus of obsolete and redundant equipment needed dealing with. Bit like all the redundant wartime airfields in the UK, people think it's sad that they have gone or going, and it is but time moves on. Land is at a premium and vast swathes of concrete and hastily constructed buildings aren't much use for growing crops.

Edward

Land is at a premium and vast swathes of concrete and hastily constructed buildings aren't much use for growing crops.

absolutely agree. While I look at graveyards and the inevitable chop and melt downs I actually view this as a celebration of the end of pain and suffering and reclamation of resources. certainly I would have liked to have seen more sold to public for preservation. at least there are a number of these warbirds in museums. I think if the world had kept them all and they are everywhere like a dime a dozen there wouldn't be anything extra special about them. as it is now, when we find a location that has a special warbird we like then it becomes a treasured find and a new celebration of the era gone by. There is a B-25 on the WWII aircraft carrier Yorktown here in Charleston SC and I still find it a super treat to go see it!

johnwayne

Just think, apparently you could pick up a P-51 for around $2k in the 50's, wonder what that equates to today?

Flightengineer

absolutely agree. While I look at graveyards and the inevitable chop and melt downs I actually view this as a celebration of the end of pain and suffering and reclamation of resources. certainly I would have liked to have seen more sold to public for preservation. at least there are a number of these warbirds in museums. I think if the world had kept them all and they are everywhere like a dime a dozen there wouldn't be anything extra special about them. as it is now, when we find a location that has a special warbird we like then it becomes a treasured find and a new celebration of the era gone by. There is a B-25 on the WWII aircraft carrier Yorktown here in Charleston SC and I still find it a super treat to go see it!

Well said. I agree with everything with you.
As a pilot, I feel sad to see the plane die ... but this was the end of a terrible war and it was necessary to make something peaceful out of arms. It is good that some of them survived and delight us in museums and at air shows.
Impressive photo, Edward. Thanks for posting.

Dover

Astonishing picture there Edward...many thanks for sharing. Just a reminder of the sad waste that is war.