• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

pocket flaps on Ma-1's

Tim P

when did pocket flaps begin to feature on Ma-1 jackets? was it coincidental with the lining changing to orange?

watchmanjimg

Pocket flaps on the MA-1 were introduced with specification 8279E in 1970, along with aluminum zippers as seen on the Sportsmasters contract the previous year. The orange lining was first seen in FY 1961.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Tim P said:
... It would be nice to have a chronology of the evolution of the ma1.

There isn't a lot of variety, just three basic versions, and Jim has covered most of the evolution.

Full Gear also notes:
R-shaped wind flap upper end in 1957, second 8279A, Rolen Sportswear.

clip tab & wire tab eliminated 1958, the second (Albert Turner & Co.) 8279B spec.

dadgad

deeb7 said:
Tim P said:
... It would be nice to have a chronology of the evolution of the ma1.

There isn't a lot of variety, just three basic versions, and Jim has covered most of the evolution.

Full Gear also notes:
R-shaped wind flap upper end in 1957, second 8279A, Rolen Sportswear.

clip tab & wire tab eliminated 1958, the second (Albert Turner & Co.) 8279B spec.

I still have a Rolen 8279A and I confirm what stated above, I also had an Albert Turner 8279B which I recently sold and it was revision one (1958) but it still retained the wire tabs, as far as I know with the 2nd Albert Turner (1959) both clip and tabs were eliminated.

DSC00659.jpg

DSC00663.jpg

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
dadgad said:
I still have a Rolen 8279A and I confirm what stated above, I also had an Albert Turner 8279B which I recently sold and it was revision one (1958) but it still retained the wire tabs, as far as I know with the 2nd Albert Turner (1959) both clip and tabs were eliminated.

Great photo's, and that MA-1 is an interesting variant ... perhaps the change occurred part way through the 1958 contract.

watchmanjimg

deeb7 said:
dadgad said:

Great photo's, and that MA-1 is an interesting variant ... perhaps the change occurred part way through the 1958 contract.

While I too have heard that '58 was the year the tabs were eliminated, I have never actually encountered a '58-dated B without at least the wire tabs. The Dobbs versions typically have the oxy tab as well. My '59s have all been without tabs.

brownbanana

Rather than create a new thread, I figured I'd ask this here.

With regards to pocket flaps being introduced with 8279E in 1970, were all E-series (and newer) MA-1s made with the orange lining? Or would MA-1s without the orange lining be possible with certain contracts? Just want to see if it's only a civilian jacket thing to be w/o the lining. Thanks.

watchmanjimg

MA-1s produced in the 1980s (by this time having been replaced by the CWU-45/P for flight use) have green lining and lack inner pockets.

Atticus

watchmanjimg said:
MA-1s produced in the 1980s (by this time having been replaced by the CWU-45/P for flight use) have green lining and lack inner pockets.

Those are actually F-series MA-1s. Their tags also read that they are only "jackets" as opposed to "Flyer's Jackets".

AF