• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pete Farndorn (Pretenders)'s A2

johnwayne

Surprised he's not seen this yet and responded and possibly you know but Paul Mathis is our very own 'Havocpaul'! He worked with the Pretenders back in the day and that period was what got him into A2's - we met recently when he told me of his involvement with the band.
Cheers
Wayne
Ps think they were days when a decent original could be had for £150!!!

Roughwear

Wayne, Paul started the search for the jacket on Facebook and Marcel has transferred it here. The jacket in question is a ATC Bronco.

havocpaul

Yes, thought I'd give it a shot to see if anyone knew where it might be although previous investigations years ago pointed to it possibly having ended up in a Japanese collection so not holding out much hope I'll ever see it again but you never know.

Ken at Aero Leather

Ps think they were days when a decent original could be had for £150!!![/quote]

Sounds about right for 1980
Dave Hill, Paul Matthias and The Pretenders were regulars in The Thrift Shop during the early 1980s. Even Chrissie once bought bought an original Irvin
Back then there were usually close on 100 original Type A-2s in stock in The Thrift Shop at any one time, many were bought from Dave after he striped the insignia off for his patch collection. Can't say I remember this one.
Often wonder where Dave is these days and what happened to all that insignia?

havocpaul

Those were exciting days visiting the Thrift Shop, Ken! Walking down Falcon Rd from the station and catching a glimpse of those A-2's in the window was an unforgettable experience. Yes, Chrissie did once wear leather before her change of views! The last time I met Dave Hill we met at the War and Peace Show a few years back, he was still buying jackets, (he had just found a nice USN M-421 at the show), but had sold on most of his collection by then. He had given up managing bands and owned a health food restaurant in central London! His collection of patches, along with many of his A-2's can be seen in the book "Round The Clock" by Kaplan and Currie about the Allied bombers in WW2. I do remember this particular A-2 had at some time been on sale at Regimentals in Islington around that time, early '80's.

Andrew

Just struck me how ironic it is we talk about the 80's like it was aeons ago, but discuss the ages of wartime jackets like it was yesterday ;)

havocpaul

True. Makes me think when I consider I have a very early repro A-2 (an amazing Aero) that is now nearly as old as the originals were when I first started collecting!