Pecards or ELC's?

Discussion in 'Care / Preservation' started by johnwayne, Nov 13, 2017 at 7:06 PM.

1. johnwayne

johnwayne Active Member

Just for general conditioning has anyone any comments on which is best or am I not comparing like for like?
    Pecards direct from US is cheaper than ELC's albeit there's 2 bottles of the latter but they don't say the content amount for £29.00 whereas its £20.00 inc postage for 16fl.oz for the Pecards!
    Incidentally I have a leather sofa in almost A2 russet, purely coincidental, that has a few areas with slight fading so I'm hoping it may work on that too!!
    Appreciate any comments please.

2. MikeyB-17

MikeyB-17 Well-Known Member

3. B-Man2

B-Man2 Active Member

There was just a posting regarding Pecards and I was surprised to learn that JC at GoodWear prefers a very light coat of Vaseline. I would have to think that might darken the color of a russet A2 a bit, but just my opinion.

4. Smithy

Smithy Well-Known Member

I've been using RM Williams Saddle Dressing for yonks on everything from jackets to boots, bags, you name it. It's great stuff and doesn't go rancid. If it's easy to find, well worth picking up a tin.

Steve27752 likes this.
  5. s4rmark

s4rmark Member

I believe the ELC leather conditioner is supplied by gliptone and is available on gliptones uk website . It is the gt 13.5 leather conditioner. Hope this info is useful to you . I had both and looks feels and smells the same.

6. Roughwear

Roughwear Well-Known Member

I have used Pecards for years and found it to work well providing it is applied lightly. It has certainly brought very tired A-2s and Irvins back to life. No conditioner will deal with leather rot or decay though. BTW the 16 oz tub is far better value than the 6oz one.

johnwayne likes this.
  7. johnwayne

johnwayne Active Member

Thanks everyone - Antique Leather Co is actually where I got my price from but it led me to think it still came from the States!
    I'll check the others out but somehow don't envisage going down the Vaseline route despite my faith in JC and everything he does, I imagine it would leave a greasy residue even after a good buffing!

8. Roughwear

Roughwear Well-Known Member

Yes, Wayne they are imported from the USA and the price has increased recently due the the weaker pound.:(

9. Spitfireace

Spitfireace Member

The guy who has been working on my repro A-2 said that Lexol is a great product because its not a paste. Paste type conditioners can destroy leather if overused. I haven't tried it yet myself. Has anyone had experience with it?