• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Payment preferences/assurances!

johnwayne

Some advice please!
Seriously thinking of off loading a jacket or two, preferably here and reluctantly thereafter if no joy, that ‘Bay’ place. Not sold for some time on either so what is deemed best for payment ie PayPal or direct bank transfer, other? And, whilst I’m UK based I’m not against an overseas sale but, sensitive to value etc., how/what’s best to describe the content on despatch notes? Heard various stories here of things going AWOL with higher value items. What have any of you recent sellers done?

mulceber

Others could better advise on international shipping, but I've had no bad experiences with paypal friends & family - buyer pays the paypal fees and their ability to get their money back without your agreement is pretty limited.

CBI

I wish people would quite saying to pay with PayPal friends and family, that is NOT meant for selling items. I've heard PP is going to crack down on this but no telling when/if ever. Sound be PayPal for goods/services.

Thomas Koehle

So far i had never before any bad experience with PayPal "Family and Friends" given that i use that "F&F" option on known people with a reputation only.

As far as i remember there actually is a max-level in value that is possible to be transferred via "F&F" especially if you send money to "the colonies" (USA) back and forth

As for identifying any values on the customs-slip i don't see any "systematic" in when i have to pay customs or in some cases i get stuff without any extra charge - well i'm certain there are regulation maybe i'm simply too stoopid to understand it????

mulceber

Yeah, there's nothing wrong with using paypal friends & family - whatever it's "meant for," there aren't any rules against using it for selling. If paypal tries to crack down...well, then they'll either need to upgrade their "goods and services" option to provide more seller protection, or people will use paypal less.

Pilot

I wish people would quite saying to pay with PayPal friends and family, that is NOT meant for selling items. I've heard PP is going to crack down on this but no telling when/if ever. Sound be PayPal for goods/services.
Anyone who does not like PP 4 F&F can still use IBAN wire transfer.. I offer both options… never had an issue.
I will only use PP 4 G&S if the seller has the same protection as the “ so called buyer”… many sellers had issues already with this kind of behavior.. pe a seller returns an old coat insted of the GW
A-2 he pretends does not fit… PP will give this “ buyer “ all rights and reimburse… similar happened already several times… so no way for me.
If we cannot agree over PP, I offer IBAN… if no IBAN… next please!

CBI

from PayPal site: don't get me wrong, I am not the PayPal police.

What's the difference between friends and family or goods and services payments?​

When you send money, we ask you to choose a payment type. You can send money as:
  • a personal payment to friends and family (“Sending to a friend”)
  • a purchase for goods and services (“Paying for an item or service”)
Personal Payments

Choose “Sending to a friend” for the everyday exchange of money between you and your friends and family. You can use personal payments when you send money as a gift, split a lunch bill, pay your share of living expenses, or something similar.

We don’t cover personal payments under PayPal Buyer Protection.
Fees
There may be a fee depending on how you make the payment and if it's an international payment. Go to our Fees page for more information.
Purchases for Goods and Services
Choose “Paying for an item or service” when buying a good or service. You can use this type of payment when you pay for an item you won in an auction, buy merchandise online, download music, or something similar.
We cover eligible goods and services payments under PayPal Buyer Protection.
Fees
When you make this type of payment, the seller pays a small fee to receive your money. Go to our Fees page for more information.

Pilot

from PayPal site: don't get me wrong, I am not the PayPal police.

What's the difference between friends and family or goods and services payments?​

When you send money, we ask you to choose a payment type. You can send money as:
  • a personal payment to friends and family (“Sending to a friend”)
  • a purchase for goods and services (“Paying for an item or service”)
Personal Payments

Choose “Sending to a friend” for the everyday exchange of money between you and your friends and family. You can use personal payments when you send money as a gift, split a lunch bill, pay your share of living expenses, or something similar.

We don’t cover personal payments under PayPal Buyer Protection.
Fees
There may be a fee depending on how you make the payment and if it's an international payment. Go to our Fees page for more information.
Purchases for Goods and Services
Choose “Paying for an item or service” when buying a good or service. You can use this type of payment when you pay for an item you won in an auction, buy merchandise online, download music, or something similar.
We cover eligible goods and services payments under PayPal Buyer Protection.
Fees
When you make this type of payment, the seller pays a small fee to receive your money. Go to our Fees page for more information.
Believe already known to all.. or what’s new?
Still no mention about the sellers protection in case of fraudulent acts from buyer…
The F&F mode is still alive and the most used one.

CBI

I guess more protection with Goods and Services if there is an issue but most folks accept the risk with F and F to avoid fees. The only issue is "buying" with F and F violates the PP user agreement. Unless they enforce it, par for the course. I don't use PP really any more anyway. again, not trying to be the PP police, whatever works ????????

Pilot

I guess more protection with Goods and Services if there is an issue but most folks accept the risk with F and F to avoid fees. The only issue is "buying" with F and F violates the PP user agreement. Unless they enforce it, par for the course. I don't use PP really any more anyway. again, not trying to be the PP police, whatever works ????????
Sorry, but where does it violate the PP rules?
If it would be the case, PP would have shut it down since at least its existence…
It just says something/somehow about “ … at buyers risk or no protection etc.. “. … but nowhere .. its illegal or against law “ etc.
IMHO… everyone is free to negotiate or use what he believes makes sense…By experience… PP4F&F or IBAN…One does not like… OK fair enough… his free will and choice…( she / he will never buy from me :) )
Next in the queue please :cool:

Last edited:

CBI

Its buried in the user agreements. I am not meaning to highjack the thread. People, use whatever you like. I never thought twice about it until I looked into it a few years ago. F and F is not intended for buying. So, if I use PP which I don't really anymore, I prefer Goods and Services for buying/selling. Does that mean you can't do whatever anyway. Go right ahead.

ButteMT61

I won't sell on eBay any longer.
Fees way to high.
Highly biased towards buyers, leaving sellers often screwed. I know, of the few times I did use it, I got hosed (selling iPad and iPhone).
I'd rather use Etsy or other smaller platform.
And as for shipping overseas, fagetaboutit!

Blackboxr1200S

Unless 100% sure of the person selling, I gladly pay the 4% fees using PP for goods.
When using F&F and sh*t goes wrong, package goes missing or not even dispatched, you end up with nothing.(zero)
Not talking about a $5 patch obviously.