• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Original Jacket Video Footage

Steve27752

I do not know where they got the jackets from. They could both go down a size, they are to big on the shoulders, the body is to baggy and to long. the leather looks to be smooth without any graining.
I would send them both back :roll:

jack31916

SteveM422a said:
I do not know where they got the jackets from. They could both go down a size, they are to big on the shoulders, the body is to baggy and to long. the leather looks to be smooth without any graining.
I would send them both back :roll:

Since these jackets look very authentic to me, it must have been Goodwear or Diamond Dave ;)

Anyway, it shows that baggy bodies and droopy shoulders is just an authentic look and that these guys little cared about the perfect fit.

RayR

John at Good Wear has a file of hundreds of original WWII picks of various jackets in actual situations. I couldn't help notice that a large percentage of them fit just like what is in this video. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that our present day image of the snug, trim fit isn't just a bit of a romanticized fantasy. You kind of see the same fit in the recent movie Pearl Harbor with Ben Afleck. Those were made by Eastman.

ben_affleck_josh_hartnett_pearl_harbor_003.jpg

a2jacketpatches

RayR said:
John at Good Wear has a file of hundreds of original WWII picks of various jackets in actual situations. I couldn't help notice that a large percentage of them fit just like what is in this video. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that our present day image of the snug, trim fit isn't just a bit of a romanticized fantasy. You kind of see the same fit in the recent movie Pearl Harbor with Ben Afleck. Those were made by Eastman.

ben_affleck_josh_hartnett_pearl_harbor_003.jpg

I agree with you completely, in the line for basic issue uniforms at Basic Training, the QM just glanced at us, grabbed a pile, and handed it to us. Everything was just a little over sized. I imagine the line of 200 other guys behind me was the reason for such swift assessment. Once out of Basic, we were encouraged to privately purchase a good set of AF Blues and BDU's were issued with a little more consideration of fit. Also, maybe the 80's fashion statement bomber jackets in that lazy look was from researching period photos. Guys back then look comfortable in period photos. All the talk here about the perfect fit, taper, cuffs, etc. and some photos tend to give me the feeling of snug with little play. I've got an M-41 jacket that just happened to be a perfect fit and I don't wear it at all. Personally, I like a little room for a sweatshirt or something fairly substantial underneath and that make it a perfect looser fit with just a t-shirt. I'm sure JC has that all considered if requested that way but I can just imagine the QM back then doing the expedited measurement process ten times quicker during war time.