• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Original Capeskin 37J1 Missed?

Skyhawk

I have been lamenting over this auction I lost Recently. It seems I bid just a little too low when I maybe should have gone all in. I had been searching for an original 37J1 when I ran across this one jacket on ebay. Could this really be one? It looks like capeskin or goat at least, and the structure seems right. The bidding was low under $300 when I bid so I thought I had a good chance. But when I threw in what I thought was a high bid last minute, I was outbid with no time to bid again. Someone else was thinking the same thing it seems.
Did anyone here get this? Or know this bidder. Did I just miss out on the chance of a lifetime on this? :(
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1930-039-s-...IpqRviBAft95QEpat7w4o%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Dr H

Looks like the find of a lifetime to me, I'm afraid - well done for even seeing it (sadly you're unlikely to see another).
The one that you'll always lament not throwing in 'the kitchen sink' as insurance in the dying seconds.

I recall trying to pull together a VLJF consortium to bid on a Mirabelli Bros. A-1, but it was much poorer than this. Not much consolation, but as far as I can (on a mobile), the condition of the cape/knits is not at all bad.
Probably will turn up for sale in Japan for $20,000...

Skyhawk

Ugggh.... yeah that's what I thought. The sinking feeling in my stomach continues.......

ADC

Not only the kitchen sink but also 10% extra and a sniping service for an overwhelming force last second bid. The winner looks like he had three same sniper bids all in the dying seconds. Not sure what he's done here but maybe used multiple services for insurance to win. Looks like a $1600+ bid would have beaten him.

Dr H

Oh blimey, just reached this on the iMac.
What a superb jacket - in great, apparently wearable condition. :mrgreen:

TankBuster

I can only agree with the others, definitely a rare find! Selling price was definitely a bargain. I could see a repro maker or high end collector paying 3k plus for something like this, even without the label.