• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Original Bronco 29191 Horsehide

ZuZu

I don’t think that there’s anything that’s totally definitive in this hobby. Could there be a goatskin 21991 ? I’d bet that there could. New information seems to turn up periodically that contradicts everything that we believed for several years . Remember that it wasn’t too many years ago that most of us believed A2’s were only made from Horsehide …. Then came along DNA testing and proof that theory was dispelled. Now when you read the ELC book it looks like as many as 30 -40 percent of the contracts were made from cowhide. So my point is that nothing is set in stone .
There are plenty of goatskin 21991s: https://www.goodwearleather.com/us_flight_jackets/pages/usaf_a2_bronco_04.html I've seen them on eBay etc. As far as steer or horse- impossible to say on this one. I had one that was magical made by elves horsehide- mostly fine-grained and even pebbly in spots. Never seen leather as nice on an A-2 before or since.

pocket.jpg

collar_details.jpg

caddyd

This is a named original Bronco 29191 but not grainy or pebbly leather so probably steerhide.

Attachments

• DSCN5517.JPG
    DSCN5517.JPG
    8.2 MB · Views: 87

caddyd

A keen eye can always spot an original. And the Bronco 29191 contract was one large one so that may explain the use of three different leathers in one run.
My point is that it seems their was many a different look and feel of A-2's then and now.

Attachments

• DSCN5524.JPG
    DSCN5524.JPG
    8.1 MB · Views: 84
  • DSCN5523.JPG
    DSCN5523.JPG
    8.1 MB · Views: 81
  • DSCN5521.JPG
    DSCN5521.JPG
    7.9 MB · Views: 78
  • DSCN5519.JPG
    DSCN5519.JPG