• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Original Aero A2-near mint

blackrat2

Wow that is nice...would never get it on though,not that you would want to wear somethin that mint very often
Bit small for you also Andrew..44 normally isn't it

Jason

Wow. One size too small but awfully tempting. Any guesses as to what it'll go for? I predict 1.5-2k.
It also goes to show how close GW are to producing garments just as they were rolling off the factory floor in the 1940s. Is John offering the rust knits yet?

johnwayne

Andrew, I bow to your knowledge but did original size tags have an 'R' suffix after the actual size? I always thought that was a relatively modern thing. Could the lining be a replacement too - mint it is, if it isn't!!!
cheers
Wayne

Roughwear

From time to time Aero did use the R suffix on some of their labels. The suffix R, S and L are more commonly seen on B-3 labels by several different makers.

TankBuster

Yes, regular, short, and long.

This one is already getting up there for a size 40. I'll take a stab at it and guess $1,500. Very nice jacket, but the size will hold it back some.

saunders

ciddu said:
Do the suffix mean "Regular" "Short" and "Long" or are they just some kind of codes??

Yes, the "reg" refers to the size, but A-2s were only made as regular fittings, so you'll not see many labels in A-2s with anything but the number alone. I can't recall seeing the "reg" suffix on A-2 size labels from any other maker but Aero. Aero appears to be making use of surplus size labels from two-piece sheepskin sets they produced: B-3/A-3 or B-6/A-5. If an A-2 contractor didn't make the sheepskin sets, it's highly unlikely there'd be any chance for this type of size label to be incorporated in the A-2. These sets were made as "regular," "stout", and "long slender," though not "long." The "long slender" fitting can also be seen abbreviated on the label as "LS" or just "long."

The B-3/A-3 sets can also be seen made as "special," which are extremely rare and reflect a made-to-order custom size for those outside the normal size range. I've only seen the "special" size on 2 jackets and a few trousers. It's my opinion that the "specials" were very rarely made in the war years (somewhat more prevalent prior to 1942) in which the B-3/A-3 sets were in production, and they may not have been made after 1942. Most aircrew wouldn't be allowed to be aircrew if they were way off the size scale in one way or the other, so it's my opinion based on conversations with those who know far more than I do, that "specials" were likely made, most often, for senior officers of some advanced age and years in service, as there was no weight restriction or physical fitness requirement back then as there is today in the military.

Saunders

saunders

Jason said:
Wow. One size too small but awfully tempting. Any guesses as to what it'll go for? I predict 1.5-2k.
It also goes to show how close GW are to producing garments just as they were rolling off the factory floor in the 1940s. Is John offering the rust knits yet?

"Rolling off the factory floor" is a bit of a stretch if you want to really be objective and critical in the analysis and assessment of GW or any other repro. maker. In my opinion, GW will have to up their game substantially in the way of lining fabric and wool knit to ever be in the league of ELC and worthy of the characterization you've bestowed here.

The leather employed by GW is superb, as is the best stuff from ELC, RMJP and BR. But is the leather actually like what we see on vintage jackets? No, that would be impossible due to the passage of time and changes that prevail in the leather industry, as well as what could well be changes in the animals themselves. Does GW offer the sort of over-dyed seal-on-russet hides we typically see on some vintage Aero A-2s? I don't know. BR has done this, and possibly RMJP, but if GW has also done so, I'd say they're the first outside of Japan. It would be nice to see this done by some other makers outside Japan, and you'd think Aero of Scotland would have done so since this is what they should be doing better than anyone.

Saunders

Persimmon

saunders said:
Jason said:

"Rolling off the factory floor" is a bit of a stretch if you want to really be objective and critical in the analysis and assessment of GW or any other repro. maker. In my opinion, GW will have to up their game substantially in the way of lining fabric and wool knit to ever be in the league of ELC and worthy of the characterization you've bestowed here. The leather employed by GW is superb, as is the best stuff from ELC, RMJP and BR. But is the leather actually like what we see on vintage jackets? No, that would be impossible due to the passage of time and changes that prevail in the leather industry, as well as what could well be changes in the animals themselves. Does GW offer the sort of over-dyed seal-on-russet hides we typically see on some vintage Aero A-2s? I don't know. BR has done this, and possibly RMJP, but if GW has also done so, I'd say they're the first outside of Japan. It would be nice to see this done by some other makers outside Japan, and you'd think Aero of Scotland would have done so since this is what they should be doing better than anyone.

Saunders

Well Saunders (first name ?) you do like to cause a stir.
From recollection and detailed inspection the reputation and quality of the Eastman knits is well surpassed by Goodwear.
Indeed it has long been one of their weaker points.

As for the leather, I do believe the same methods are being used by Goodwear to simulate the methods used by the factories who produced the A2 jackets during WW2.
From what I have seen the jackets being produced by Goodwear are just like the ones that could have come off the factory floor 70 years ago and the passage of time re process is not an issue.
Of course to simulate exact age will take years and years for the modern repro and we will all be dead by then but what I seeing is getting there fast.

Roughwear

Oh dear, not this old argument about the relative accuracy of ELC and GW A2s again! It has been exhausted long ago here and just creates bad feelings IMO.

Dr H

saunders said:
Does GW offer the sort of over-dyed seal-on-russet hides we typically see on some vintage Aero A-2s? I don't know. BR has done this, and possibly RMJP, but if GW has also done so, I'd say they're the first outside of Japan. It would be nice to see this done by some other makers outside Japan, and you'd think Aero of Scotland would have done so since this is what they should be doing better than anyone.Saunders[/color]

Yes, my GW Perry 16175 is a seal over russet.