One of the rarest WW2 jackets

Discussion in 'Vintage' started by John Lever, Jul 16, 2016.

1. John Lever

John Lever Moderator

2. blackrat2

blackrat2 Member

Is it original John?...

3. daw

daw Member

John,

Ever seen one like this for sale? Assuming it's original, it has got to be incredibly rare.

Dennis

4. John Lever

John Lever Moderator

I think so. The fleece on the collars of originals change colour from black to deep purple over time.

5. Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer Well-Known Member

hmmmm....this seller has a reputation for selling "rare luftwaffe" jackets. caveat emtor. this one has been super greased, which would indicate hide issues.

6. John Lever

John Lever Moderator

I think a jacket of this supposed value shouldn't be greased or treated in any way. Any patina will be lost.

7. Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer Well-Known Member

he does that with the vast majority of his jackets. not a good sign. btw, to the best of my knowledge, luftwaffe jackets were never officially issued. the pilots were on their own to supply kit from commercial producers in austria, germany, france, etc.. does this apply to the heavier "channel" or bomb squad jackets? dunno. without iron clad documentation, i would only consider an item like this as a curio, and not a "collectable" luftwaffe jacket.

8. Roughwear

Roughwear Well-Known Member

I would not recommend anyone buying from this guy. As Vic says he fakes jackets. He has done this widely with bike jackets claiming they are Luftwaffe jackets. This jacket looks tampered with too.

9. John Lever

John Lever Moderator

I think the ME262 and rocket plane pilots did have issued jackets rather than private purchase. If you look closely at the photos it's very advanced for its time.

10. Roughwear

Roughwear Well-Known Member

Quite right John. This is likely to be an issued jacket on this occasion, but you never know how much he has tampered with it.

11. TankBuster

TankBuster Active Member

Late to the party here, but this is a original Luftwaffe issued jacket. These jackets were issued later in the war to try and help boost morale. They are pretty rare and usually command a pretty good price. The loops for rank shoulder boards are something sellers will add at times to try and increase value which may or may not be the case here. For more info on these jackets look to Mick Prodgers book " Luftwaffe vs the RAF"

12. Skyhawk

Skyhawk Active Member

13. ADC

ADC Member

I bet the shoulder mounts and pebble buttons are a creative addition. After 70+ years they should leave some sort of telltale bedding mark on the surrounding leather. Also that pebble button has an extreme amount of wear. Not original to the jacket and likely found dug up somewhere. Shoulder buttons are usualy not exposed to heavy wear. Even if jacket is original it has been messed with to deceive IMO.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2016